BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: Ok, so what basically happened was that i took my car to a local glass repair shop to have my rear window cleaned from all the residue leaved by the tint... in the procedure, the clown that removed the residue used some sort of razor blade to remove all the crap followed with some type of liquid, not only removed the residue, but also removed some sort of non conductive compound used to cover the antenna, defrost... and in 1 area also removed a bit of the defroster/antenna. Now i have bad fm/am reception and don't im my defroster works anymore. Don't know what to do with the issue.
What should i replace?
:censor:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, you will have to replace the complete rear screen I dont think that you could repair it correctly using metal paint.

Poor radio reception is a common problem with the e46 so if its still under bmw warranty have them change it, but dont say that it was damaged, or you could alway make a claim on your car insurance for a new rear screen by saying its broken (provided your policy covers windscreen damage)

Or just have the company that done the damage pay for a new bmw screen from your bmw dealer.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warranty already expired, so not an option...
Insurance may fix this.
BTW, how much should i expect to pay for a new rear window? Will it look the same way as OEM?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, in the Uk the rear screen would be about £250 supply only then another 70 pounds to fit.

I would claim your insurance if it has a windscreen/glass cover option, the insurance company that i am with in the UK only charge a £60 excess no matter what glass is being replaced and no matter how often it gets replaced and the claim will not effect your no claims discount.

Your insurance may work differently to the UK but I am sure they must have some sort of windscreen/glass cover within their policies.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what should i say to insurance that happened with the gall?? since its not broken just that the defroster/antenna is damaged.

·
Registered
221 Posts
yeah you could throw a rock as Logikgr says or say that it is cracked the insurance company will not check they get an indy windscreen company out to replace it and i dont think they are going to say anything as they are getting a sale out of it.

The insurance company have a deal with the window company so the excess they charge is most likely the trade cost of the screen in the first place If it was me i would strike it with something and then get a new screen.

I know its not completely honest but you are really paying for it through your excess and policy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts