BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day while driving my brakes failed on me, luckily I was able to get home and park safely. Through further inspection I realized my passenger brake hose had a crack and fluid was spraying out leading to an empty brake master cylinder. I attempted to replace the hose myself today but it was rusted pretty badly. My question is will the empty brake master cylinder throw a check engine light? I currently dont have a code reader on hand at the moment and I can’t drive to an Autozone to have it read :LOL:. The car is having a rough idle and I’m wondering if it has anything to do with the brake booster because the reservoir is empty

·
Registered
10,372 Posts
No, the empty brake fluid will not trigger the CEL. Given the trouble and the question, you need to have the car towed to your mechanic.

·
the people’s mod
2004 330Ci 115k miles
15,065 Posts
Low or empty brake fluid should trigger the BRAKE light in the dash.
Did you see that light on?

What you call CEL (Check Engine Light) is really SES (Service Engine Soon) and is engine only.

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got a hold of a code reader so I will check it out now

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,971 Posts
Brake fluid will NOT show on a code reader unless it's got DSC capabilities.

It will show the check engine light codes. Please post the description with the code. Nothing more infuriating than having to look up everyone's code. o_O

·
Registered
2000 BMW 323i
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P1250 Fuel Pressure Low
P0441 Tank Venting System Function
Cylinder Misfire 1 & 4

Just cleared the codes and nothing came back, however; can’t really drive it to properly see if it would come back since of the braking issue.

Fuel pump/filter/gas cap/double vanos/entire pcv system replaced less than 15k ago

1 - 10 of 10 Posts