E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fanatics!

Ive just completed my 330 converion (my car was a 318-> 2lt valvetronic 4cyl 143ps) with manual 5 speed gearbox and 3.38 diff and i have an issue.. The donor car was a pre-facelift 330 cabrio automatic..

Ive got an error (one and only error!!) and my mechanics diagnostic tool says EGS rejected by canbus.. I talked to the man that reprogrammed my ecu and paired my keys & ews and told me that this is some kind of transmission error..
And my question is the gearbox harness is one piece with the ecu's harness, correct? The auto harness (pin) and the manual are the same??
(there isn't any pin that's not in place). Is there a chance any plug has been slightly unplugged and cause this error?
The only plug that goes on the gearbox is the one for the reverse lights?

I also have some small misfires when i start the car, do i have to clean my injectors? (when it reaches normal temp and after some driving it's ok)
Is it because the engine was not working for a while being at the breaker's..??

I put a bottle of injector cleaner and filled up with gas and it seems to work smoother..(forgot to mention that spark plugs are new NGK).. Could this be any coil issue?

Of course my main problem is CEL with the gearbox error..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello fanatics!

Ive just completed my 330 converion (my car was a 318-> 2lt valvetronic 4cyl 143ps) with manual 5 speed gearbox and 3.38 diff and i have an issue.. The donor car was a pre-facelift 330 cabrio automatic..

Ive got an error (one and only error!!) and my mechanics diagnostic tool says EGS rejected by canbus.. I talked to the man that reprogrammed my ecu and paired my keys & ews and told me that this is some kind of transmission error..
And my question is the gearbox harness is one piece with the ecu's harness, correct? The auto harness (pin) and the manual are the same??
(there isn't any pin that's not in place). Is there a chance any plug has been slightly unplugged and cause this error?
The only plug that goes on the gearbox is the one for the reverse lights?

I also have some small misfires when i start the car, do i have to clean my injectors? (when it reaches normal temp and after some driving it's ok)
Is it because the engine was not working for a while being at the breaker's..??

I put a bottle of injector cleaner and filled up with gas and it seems to work smoother..(forgot to mention that spark plugs are new NGK).. Could this be any coil issue?

Of course my main problem is CEL with the gearbox error..

Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks!!
????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
let me get this straight.

you took an E46 318i that had a manual transmission

and installed a

6 cylinder engine from a 330i automatic and kept your 5-speed manual transmission?

If that's the case, you need the correct software for a manual transmission loaded into the DME from the 330.

It thinks that the car still has an automatic transmission (since that's what the donor convertible had) installed and is looking for it on the CAN bus. Once you upload the manual transmission software to the DME, it will stop looking for an EGS module and probably run correctly.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
let me get this straight.

you took an E46 318i that had a manual transmission

and installed a

6 cylinder engine from a 330i automatic and kept your 5-speed manual transmission?

If that's the case, you need the correct software for a manual transmission loaded into the DME from the 330.

It thinks that the car still has an automatic transmission (since that's what the donor convertible had) installed and is looking for it on the CAN bus. Once you upload the manual transmission software to the DME, it will stop looking for an EGS module and probably run correctly.
Yes my car was a manual 318ci and i did a complete engine swap from a 330 automatic cabrio BUT i haven't bought the auto gearbox 5HP19, i bought a manual 5 speed ZF gearbox part #1053 401 151/2106-4 226 (the gearbox from the 318 does n't fit to any M54, it only fits 4 cyl engines). I also bought ecu harness from manual model, i did n't take the one from the cabrio.. (that's why i ask about the plug that goes on the gearbox, i think it's different between manual and auto gearbox, am i right..??)

The DME that the seller send me was from a 330 touring.. I send the ecu with my keys (318) and ews(318) and he cleared it and remapped it with the latest M54B30 software and also paired it with my ews & keys..

I changed everything.. brakes, diff, prop shaft, driveshafts, gearbox, engine, etc...

Is the engine & ignition harness different between manual & auto..?? This one is the same between auto and manual http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...system/wiring_harness_engine_ignition_module/ ??? because i did n't change this and of course i don't think it is needed.. I also did n't change this one http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...l_system/engine_wiring_harness_engine_module/ because i also think is the same in auto and manual cars..
This harness http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E...cal_system/wiring_harness_engine_grbx_module/ is the one that goes from the DME to the 4 lamda 02 sensors (why i can't find it in bmwfans.info for manual 5speed 330?) i believe he send the correct, from manual model.. All the plugs are fitted, there is nothing unplugged..
What's the part# for the engine-gearbox harness for manual 5 speed 330ci E46?? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN51&mospid=47620&btnr=12_1095&hg=12&fg=28&lang=en

Car works good and rides very nice, the sound is amazing.. My only problem is this error (CEL)...

Thank you for your time mate!!:thumbsup::hi:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any other opinions.....????
????????????

Also another question..

The 5 speed manual E46 330ci was made from 9/1999 until 3/2003, correct..??

Is there any difference in engine-ecu-transmission harness between cars built before 9/2001 and after?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Need help...

My injectors (i took them off to clean them) write 0303 on (apart from the part#), is there any chance it's their production date (3/2003?)..??

Also, i found a plug from the engine harness (under the throttle body) that was unplugged.. Do all the plugs of the engine harness plug in place or it is possible that it remains unplugged for some reason (for example if you want to add something afterwards)..???

I will post pics of the plug..

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My injectors (i took them off to clean them) write 0303 on (apart from the part#), is there any chance it's their production date (3/2003?)..??

Also, i found a plug from the engine harness (under the throttle body) that was unplugged.. Do all the plugs of the engine harness plug in place or it is possible that it remains unplugged for some reason (for example if you want to add something afterwards)..???

I will post pics of the plug..
Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Automotive ignition part

Anyone know where this plug goes or if it must stay unplugged..??

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Update!!!

I had these codes P0171/P0174 (system too lean) and P0600 (EGS rejected by canbus)..

I had new spark plugs (300km) but i took them out and cleaned them with TB cleaner and reinstalled them adding new Bosch coils that i had (as a preventative change).. My intake tubes were brand new so i installed a new ICV (the old was very dirty) and also cleaned the TB (without removing it from the engine).. I aslo had a spray (contact cleaner) and sprayed every plug i removed.. Took out the injectors and cleaned them (they also were dirty as the guy who cleaned them told me).. Maf was new (siemens, bought it from ebay).. I also checked the upper tube that goes from the head to the CCV and installed new gaskets cause i thought that it wasn't sitting properly, now it's ok..

Yesterday, i installed all the parts back in place and started the car.. :):clap: The car runs very smooth now and the difference compared to how it was working is visible..

I did 45km (with stops that the car was parked for 2-3 hours) and i realized on the way home that the CEL went away!!!
Iam suprised because the P0600 error was all the time.. I was erasing it and after 5 minutes it was on again (CEL).. Could this error be related with the idle problems and misfires that i had from the dirty injectors?

I guess i will have to wait a few days (in case it lights on again, i hope not!!:D)..

Thanks guys..

A lot of threads here were very useful and helpful..:hi::clap::bow::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sh*t!!!

The CEL turned on again and after some km it goes off..

I still get the same codes P0600 and P0171/174!!!!:facepalm::ben:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts