BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I started my car up 2000 bmw 323i 5 speed and while driving on the highway the car started idling pretty roughly and my cel came on and those codes came up thru the autozone scanner would it be that my secondary air pump has died on me ?and check valve as well or a vacuum hose all help appreciated it please and thank you!

·
Registered
10,595 Posts
The secondary air pump is used only during cold starts. It pumps air into the exhaust manifolds as the engine computer uses an overly rich fuel-air mixture to get the catalytic converters up to temperature quickly. The extra air ensures that unburned has in the exhaust manifolds gets burned. Depending on the outside temperature the SAP will run anywhere from 20 seconds 90 seconds (think Alaska). I’d get the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) rescanned with a different tool you see what codes come up. If those codes come up again then I’d start checking the vacuum hoses associated with the SAP. Here’s the issue: vacuum leaks at engine revs above idle don’t typically affect how the engine runs. Why? The ratio of vacuum leaks (aka unmetered air) to metered air (air that has gone through the MAF) decreases as engine speeds increases.

Get the DME scanned with a different tool. Also, get the OBDFusion app for your smartphone or tablet. It’s a great tool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed just cleaned the egr and replaced the air secondary pump and all codes gone thank you either way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts