BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Done some searching but still have questions -- I have a 2001 325i with the BUSINESS CD already in.

My old e36 had a head with Tape Deck and 6-cd changer... pretty rad to play old rock tapes on!

I'd like to get that setup going again, AND an aux-in for my ipod... AND stay OEM cause I like the clean look... i want it all ;)

1. I know that cd heads made in/after 2003 have aux in capability... cool
2. I know tape + cd-changer heads are out there for the e46 -- are there any that support aux in? Same date rule as #1?
3. Is my 2001 good to go for post 2003 tape + cd-changer unit at all? Or am i limited because it's an early model e46?

basically what are my options here?

thx!

·
Registered
522 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you can't have all 3, at least not completely OEM. I'd advise you to look for the tape deck and 6CD changer and then figure a way to wire in the auxiliary. The newer head units will fit, but then you don't have tapes :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just went down that road with a 1999 323i. It had a head unit with cassette and 6-CD changer from the factory. I swapped out the head unit for a pre-2002 CD business unit and it bolts right up no problem. Actually, I replaced all speakers and Amp with Harmon Kardon plus I installed HK subwoofers and it was a great and inexpensive upgrade. This weekend, I purchased an MP3 Aux input and when I pulled the head unit, I realized that while the connector can fit into the main connector that connects to the head unit, the head unit did not have any pins to receive it, thus no support for MP3 aux input. I am pretty confident that a post 2002 head unit can handle both the 6-CD changer and MP3 Aux input. The pre2002 CD head unit will not support MP3 aux input... period.

It is easy to install. Factory instructions recommend installing it in the glove box but there are other instructions for installing it next to the DSC pannell.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Actually, I still have the OEM Aux Input kit for 2002 and later CD head unit since it wouldn't work on my daughter's car. I paid $39 and would be willing to sell it for what I paid plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
post 2003 build cassette players (rare) can accept aux in and a CDC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great info guys, couple different options to think about...

merc's idea... walkman to aux for tape playing... never considered that man! Cool idea!

ian's suggestion sounds like the slickest setup... yes i imagine post 2003 cassettes hard to come by though... just watch ebay?

MTA I'll keep your OEM aux cable in mind...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great info guys, couple different options to think about...

merc's idea... walkman to aux for tape playing... never considered that man! Cool idea!

ian's suggestion sounds like the slickest setup... yes i imagine post 2003 cassettes hard to come by though... just watch ebay?

MTA I'll keep your OEM aux cable in mind...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts