BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CCV, VANOS and Cooling Overhaul (Pics!)

Over the weekend I ripped out half the items in my engine bay to take care of some pressing items.

CCV Replacement
Thermostat Replacement
100k mile overhaul of cooling system (Water tank,Water Pump,hoses...)
VANOS Seals

I have rolled the past 5k miles with a busted CV Valve. Life circumstances only allowed me to abuse a very quality ride. This weekend I tried for some redemption. I took some pictures to document it and the condition.

The car, a Before shot. Then some with all of the parts out, didn't know the BMW engine could be so spacious. Have some pics of my workspace. I also have some more with the VANOS out, which I will try and update later. Interesting that the crud on the VANOS from the busted CCV valve was easier to clean and cleaner underneath than the varnish from old oil. I got this puppy used with about 70k on it. a year and a half ago. I've been putting in Synth BMW every 7-8k. I've changed the oil out twice since the CCV went tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Write-up on the way :)

'Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog (ccv valve) of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me..But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.
I've been sent back until my task is done.'

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
I like that you used blue painter's tape to label everything. No guessing when you go back to re-install everything. I saw that your plugs were labeled too. Are you not replacing them? I will be doing all this work this spring. Hope yours goes well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that you used blue painter's tape to lable everything. No guessing when you go back to re-install everything. I saw that your plugs were tagged too. Are you not replacing them?
I tagged them for forensics, so I'd know what Cylinder they came out of.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You're suggesting the black, sludge stuff seen in the VANOS and valve cover pics was due to CCV failure? So how did you identify your CCV failed?

I may be having a CCV issue with condensation build-up leaving yellow goo around the oil fill etc. Hopeful you will detail your issue.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're suggesting the black, sludge stuff seen in the VANOS and valve cover pics was due to CCV failure? So how did you identify your CCV failed?

I may be having a CCV issue with condensation build-up leaving yellow goo around the oil fill etc. Hopeful you will detail your issue.
I did not notice any goo, I noticed what I thought was a blown head gasket. I had Chocolate milk looking dried caked on oil encrusted around the oil fill. I did a compression test and nothing unusual, Compression was fine. It would start and smoke white... and then it would be fine. My car never overheated that I know of. Never lost coolant. Check the oil cap it would not have any unusual sucking or howling. I found when I took the valve cover off I had a small leak that was very unnoticeable.

My car would 'throw' globs of oil into the header and they would burn. I would smell it each time my car would throw a glob of oil from the dead CCV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a question for anyone in the know. Why exactly would the oil be burning off up top. Is it because the CCV is throwing dried oil gunk a little at a time that sticks to the hot surfaces?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You seem to have a similar issue to mine. I blow a puff of white smoke on cold start sometimes. It's been freezing cold in my area where I'm condensing water in the form of goo and water drops at the oil fill. The CCV can be tested by sealing a plastic grocery bag over the oil fill under idle. If the bag deflects downward that's good as a slight negative vac is present indicating CCV is functioning. A failing CCV will blow the bag toward you from positive (blow-by) pressure - bad. If there is excessive vac that is also a symptom of CCV fail.

So I'm guessing you have excessive oil usage and smell burning oil? Should the pipe back to the pan be restricted or if the valve failed, oil can be pulled through the intake and burned in the cylinders creating smoke and odors. I don't think your minor deposits described as chocolate color is related to the CCV. Oil leaking from CCV drips (like a breached hose) doesn't hit hot pipes to burn off.

I think my exhaust and motor suffer from condensed water burning out and maybe my CCV is partially loaded with goo. This may cause globs to be introduced to the intake causing my startup puffs. Sorry, this isn't about my issue just comparing notes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im pretty certain my CCV was faulty and the reason for my smoking. My pipe leading to my VANOS was perpetually clogged with grimy sludge that would come and go. This would get thrown or sucked onto the VANOS or into the intake and since it was not viscous it would burn on the intake walls. I don't know what was the cause of it loosing its viscosity.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Any reason?
Yeah, I also don't get that. I just stood it up on the bolt after washing it for the night and didn't worry about it. Makes no sense to me. Maybe if you would be leaving it like that for a few days, gravity may take its toll, but I cant really see a day doing anything to those fins.

I also have that chocolatey cake mix ass well all over the inside of my valve cover and vanos but Im pretty sure the CCV valve is good since it's not throwing any codes.

Except after just completing the vanos and valve cover gasket, Im getting an advance in camshaft timing. I did everthing right as far as I know. I don't get it.. Hopefully you don't run into any issues. Good luck.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think OP has a lotta short trips in winter time creating unburned condensation.

·
Registered
767 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Write-up on the way :)

'Through fire and water. From the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought him, the Balrog (ccv valve) of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me..But it was not the end. I felt life in me again.
I've been sent back until my task is done.'
wow...haha

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh thats nice.. So I should be expecting my fan to be exploding sometime soon? :facepalm:
No kidding. It was flat for a day and a half :-/

I put it up on the side and worked the clutch manually until it loosed up.. I did this a half dozen time to see if what would happen I suppose when I started the car back up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts