BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

should i be more worried about the crumbling insulation on the ccv return line? i have found pieces of it everywhere.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts

should i be more worried about the crumbling insulation on the ccv return line? i have found pieces of it everywhere.
If it's not actually leaking I wouldn't worry about it as far as that is concerned but if it's old enough for that stuff to crumble perhaps it's due for a change.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, independent mechanic here replaced the ccv and other lines, but he left that crumbling top line. can’t say i blame him, because when i cleaned and replaced the icv, the ccv and one of the rear port caps fell apart creating massive vacuum leaks.

so now i am not so gung ho about the diy repairs on this old car. but i am working up the nerve to replace the coolant lines under the intake manifold as part of a full cooling system refresh. and replacing the ccv and plastic valve cover with the m56 aluminum cover.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,836 Posts
If it's not actually leaking I wouldn't worry about it as far as that is concerned but if it's old enough for that stuff to crumble perhaps it's due for a change.

+1

·
Premium Member
2000 328i MT
340 Posts
+2 As long as the hose itself isn't cracked underneath the crumbled insulation, you'll be fine. That one isn't too bad to replace if you go that route, and it's cheap anyway.

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT
558 Posts
@wfx- leave it alone until your next valve change , of the CVV lines that I have .the valve will crap out before that line breaks.Don't mind the insulation,just clean debris off that area when you take the manifold off.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,690 Posts
One of the ways to make the CCV last longer is to aggressively clean the drainage channels at the bottom of the dipstick. Sadly, you can't just soak it in a solvent, but folks have had success with piano wire. When they back up, the CCV clogs and goes cattywumpus.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the ways to make the CCV last longer is to aggressively clean the drainage channels at the bottom of the dipstick. Sadly, you can't just soak it in a solvent, but folks have had success with piano wire. When they back up, the CCV clogs and goes cattywumpus.

good advice there, because most people will want to make the bmw solution work as designed. and extra points for the use of “cattywumpus”.

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,690 Posts
good advice there, because most people will want to make the bmw solution work as designed. and extra points for the use of “cattywumpus”.
My favorite kind of "wumpus"
:excited:

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
4,690 Posts

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
3,792 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts