BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use a CB radio to 'safely' get around?? How useful is it?

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
i have heard that the CB / V1 (or 8500 in my case) is the best method of "safely" motoring you way around our interstates. have not tried it, but it would be cool to do a custom CB install, otherwise i wouldnt want one ruining the lines of my dash.

havent tried it myself but have heard good things

-brendan

·
LinuxGeek
252 Posts
I'm using ICOM IC-706MKIIG plus magnetic base antenna . Pretty cool transceiver. :thumbup: There is one disadvantage : you need license for that. :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right Brenden..you wouldn't want to jam another radio in the dash. A custom install on a sliding or removable bracket might be a good way to go.

Lucas-do you know of quality units that do not require a license. I got too many licenses already.;)

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
maybe just a CB reciever, that is hooked into your stereo speakers. for this purpose, transmitting is not really needed (unless u wanna get a smokey report or whatever). and that would not neeed a licence.

-brendan

·
Registered
199 Posts
cb

i am thinking about the hand held model of a cb radio, or can you get one with no antenna or small antenna?
thanks
mike

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good idea BigXL--Hand held is a great idea if the range is good enough. That way, no installation or bulky, clunky thing on your dash. I'm going to ask around and see if they work well. Might be the ideal solution with a V1/Passport..If I find out anything I will post it.
If anyone here knows about handheld CB's please let us know.:thumbup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm a little in the dark here, fellas. What is on the CB frequencies? the fuzz? Are you listening for them talking about where they are, or truckers calling each other to say where cops are?

I'm just so innocent.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't been on them in years so I don't know how it is now but in the past you could listen to channel 19 and get the location of almost every radar trap. Truckers and civilians both bantering and posting on the air in real time. Very helpful.:thumbup:

·
Registered
829 Posts
don't mean to bring back a age old thread but its better than posting a new one. :dunno:

I just bought a cheapy CB radio for the BMW. The tray under the radio is not quite big enough to hold a CB. And I couldn't find one smaller than 3" deep. So I'm not sure if you can install it there.

I'm going to mount mine left of the steering wheel, above the foot rest. What sucks is I could find one that was amber. So I got one that lights up a yellow color. Only thing I'm unsure about is where to put a holder for the mic. And 3' antenna. :yikes: I guess I could mount it under the car???

I'll post pics when I install it. Will be a whale though, I'm painting my side moldings and other stuff all this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts