BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Grand Doriftor
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to design a straight back exhaust for my car. I noticed my diesel has two cats, a small one leading from the engine and another were the tailpipe juts out (just like in any other E46). I know I can replace the last cat with a exhaust sytem (such as an Eisenmann or a Remus) but does anyone know if I can remove the first cat? Will it adversely affect the car? I don't know the sulfur content of diesel in my country so is that second cat there to prevent any harmful gasses? Will an exhaust (catback) for a gas E46 work on my car? Is the clearance the same?

·
Grand Doriftor
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
*bump*

·
Grand Doriftor
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has any other diesel owner attempted this? My guess is that it would also be the same kind of problem for a 330d owner right?

·
OG Moderator Extraordinaire
5,761 Posts
unless the exhaust designs are that different from the regular E46s, you're talking about the resonators. Removing the resonators will not affect the car adversely, but will increase the noise/sound of the exhaust note.

The cats (at least in non-diesel E46s) are actually located in the headers/exhaust manifolds...

·
Grand Doriftor
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
B that is exactly the one I am talking about. My car came with two cats the one after the manifold and one before the rear bumper. The one after the manifold (downpipe in my case) is the one I would like to know if I can remove.

·
Grand Doriftor
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts