BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im putting in catless headers into my 04 330ci as well as deleting the SAP, wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about with the post cat 02 sensors. I read that some people get the euro 2 tune, or non foulers, etc. Just want to know what to do so that the car will:
A. not throw CEL's
B. Input correct Fuel-Air mixture
C. not explode :thumbsup:
Thanks in advance! All help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
EU2 tune is probably simplest, it does exactly what you want. Without it you can solve the downstream O2 sensor issue with non-foulers (most likely) but if you yank the SAP you'll get codes.

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,258 Posts
EU2 tune and SAP delete here. No codes on the dash; runs great. The cats and post-cat O2s are still in place. If memory serves, OBDFusion shows a monitor not being set due to the absence of the SAP, but I've passed emissions twice here in Tennessee. Not sure what the emissions testing protocol is there in Alberta but I'm sure I would fail in California, New York or Massachusetts, etc.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
If memory serves, OBDFusion shows a monitor not being set due to the absence of the SAP, but I've passed emissions twice here in Tennessee.
With EU2 Tune OBDFusion will show the Secondary Air system as Not Available and Not Set which is fine. The monitor is only considered an issue if it's Available and Not Set. I used to have a screenshot for this... no idea where it went.

·
Registered
8,567 Posts
You have MS45.1. You'll have to send your DME out for Kassel performance to flash it. MS45.1 technically doesn't have EU2 but the post cat O2 sensors and SAP can be coded out

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP
109 Posts
I opted to purchase ByteTuner for a little more than the price of sending my DME out to Kassel if I ever need to do any logging or tuning in the future. I've coded out secondary O2s and SAP delete successfully. Rkneeshaw documented these adjustments well on the MS45.1 section of ms4x.net

·
Registered
Supercharged Titanium Silver 2005 330ci vert
204 Posts
I opted to purchase ByteTuner for a little more than the price of sending my DME out to Kassel if I ever need to do any logging or tuning in the future. I've coded out secondary O2s and SAP delete successfully. Rkneeshaw documented these adjustments well on the MS45.1 section of ms4x.net
How did you do this for the SAP? I emailed Renovevo and they told me I need to get with someone that does tuning. I thought that's what their software was for. ?

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP
109 Posts
How did you do this for the SAP? I emailed Renovevo and they told me I need to get with someone that does tuning. I thought that's what their software was for. ?
Renovelo provides the software and troubleshooting, but they will not do tuning. I don't really blame them (him) for not going down that rabbit hole as I'm sure spending time on their products is already time consuming.

As I said, go to ms4x.net and look at the MS45.1 section.

This thread details how I was able to achieve readiness using ByteTuner. MS45.1 Readiness with Catless Headers SOLVED

·
Registered
204 Posts
Renovelo provides the software and troubleshooting, but they will not do tuning. I don't really blame them (him) for not going down that rabbit hole as I'm sure spending time on their products is already time consuming.

As I said, go to ms4x.net and look at the MS45.1 section.

This thread details how I was able to achieve readiness using ByteTuner. MS45.1 Readiness with Catless Headers SOLVED
I've been over that link many times. It's not really that cut and dried for the inexperienced. I was hoping to be able to go into a GUI and change the parameters and not use a HEX editor. I have no clue how to download and install the software on that link. I do have software and a cable I was able to use to download my MS45.1 file from my DME.

That's about the same answer I got from them. Strange that they don't even know where in their own software. I have no problem buying the software if they could show me where to make the change.

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP
109 Posts
I've been over that link many times. It's not really that cut and dried for the inexperienced. I was hoping to be able to go into a GUI and change the parameters and not use a HEX editor. I have no clue how to download and install the software on that link. I do have software and a cable I was able to use to download my MS45.1 file from my DME.

That's about the same answer I got from them. Strange that they don't even know where in their own software. I have no problem buying the software if they could show me where to make the change.

Everything BMW used to adjust calibration of the DME is available to change using ByteTuner. This picture shows the standard GUI. You can expand each parameter and modify its value. Most are boolean, single number, 2D table, or 3D tables. They have sorted by control system, but there is also a search function to help find parameters that are not classified.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Everything BMW used to adjust calibration of the DME is available to change using ByteTuner. This picture shows the standard GUI. You can expand each parameter and modify its value. Most are boolean, single number, 2D table, or 3D tables. They have sorted by control system, but there is also a search function to help find parameters that are not classified.
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 330i ZHP
109 Posts
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks
That picture is from their website ;)

ByteTuner is the best option for the home gamer tuner right now, but it's definitely not straight forward or as simple as other options for other cars. But for MS45.1, it's what we've got to work with. The abbreviations used by BMW for parameters can be confusing and since there are SO MANY parameters shown with ByteTuner, it can be overwhelming. Some of the abbreviations from MS43 carry over, but some do not, and complete parameter names generally do not. I spent a good amount of time trying different parameters to see which ones would forced heater readiness, etc and found a solution that is ok. I tried varying lambda threshold to trigger CEL and that didn't work. Since MS45.1 wasn't made for EU, there isn't a simple EU option like with MS43 to show not available. I'm not sure if there is a way to do this, as I haven't found out...YET

·
Registered
204 Posts
"That picture is from their website "

Sarcasm I'm just going to buy it an figure it out. I think my HEX flash cable from VF Engineering might work for this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts