E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long day of cuts, dirt, bruises, cramps in my legs, feet, back, hands and even a** (i'm 20 and I drink a lot of water :mad: ) and only having hand tools, I finally got off both of the cats and here's what I found. The bank 2 cat was indeed clogged, I'll put a picture down below and my Bank 1 cat rattles... but it passed the back pressure test and ran as it should. I only have a replacement cat (magnaflow) for Bank 2 but will eventually replace Bank 1.

The trouble i'm having is with my Bank 2 studs, when lining up my new cat with the studs.. only 1 stud is off alignment and I really don't know how to get it back aligned w/o potentially damaging anything. Other than removing the stud how else can i approach this.

ALSO I noticed that there was no exhaust flange gaskets on either of the exhaust pipes?? What could that have done?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
7,352 Posts
Factory cats? No gaskets? That's what those shelf things are.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Factory cats? No gaskets? That's what those shelf things are.
they are factory cats they have the BMW logo but they supposedly haven't been changed :/ i took my car to a "home mechanic" and they claimed to have worked on my cats but now i'm starting to assume they swapped a good one for a bad one and just cleaned the cat so my car runs better but of course it's running like trash now. And that may be why i still have all this dust in my cat as well as a rattle in my Bank 1 cat. Scammed, because they gave me a faulty MAF as well, and my radiator was fine but they insisted it needed to be changed and after they "replaced the radiator" they showed me a radiator they took off claiming it was mine but there were leaves on it that.. I had never seen on my previous radiator.

So that may be the reason i don't have exhaust flanges. Now i'm struggling with fitment, one of the studs doesnt line up with the top right hole of the new exhuast manifold and i don't know what to do or how to take the stud out.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,488 Posts
Sorry to hear about these issues. That sucks. Do the magnaflow cat stud holes not line up with the bmw one for bank 2? Is it close? If so perhaps you can oval out the hole with a round file a little bit to make it fit??

You can remove the stud by turning them out with the 'double nut' method, but that might result in an exhaust leak that throws off the O2 sensor readings and causes mixture issues.

Fwiw, see number 3 in diagram below for the exhaust gaskets that should be there, part numbers are in the link. Btw, you can look up your car on www.realoem.com with the last 7 digits of VIN to find parts diagrams and part numbers.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear about these issues. That sucks. Do the magnaflow cat stud holes not line up with the bmw one for bank 2? Is it close? If so perhaps you can oval out the hole with a round file a little bit to make it fit??

You can remove the stud by turning them out with the 'double nut' method, but that might result in an exhaust leak that throws off the O2 sensor readings and causes mixture issues.

Fwiw, see number 3 in diagram below for the exhaust gaskets that should be there, part numbers are in the link. Btw, you can look up your car on www.realoem.com with the last 7 digits of VIN to find parts diagrams and part numbers.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

View attachment 931302
The exhaust gasket fits perfectly, i'm going to try the stud removal method. Here's a picture of the two manifolds... and from looking it looks damn near close to being the exact same. The stud is just rubbing on the left side of the top left hole literally less than a mm. It's just ever so slightly rubbing.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,488 Posts
The stud is just rubbing on the left side of the top left hole literally less than a mm. It's just ever so slightly rubbing.
If it's less than 1 mm, then widen the hole slightly in that direction and keep the stud.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it's less than 1 mm, then widen the hole slightly in that direction and keep the stud.
that's what i ended up doing with a drill, it worked 👍🏽

UPDATE: I got the cats back on and everything else back on and the car has more power than it did before, but it still lacks some power. I still have my P0171 code (system too lean) and P0302 code... (I have my fuel injector for cylinder 2 that I need to replace). I also have my P0411 code i need to address but now i believe i have a P0171/P0302 code due to the Fuel Injector because I've already replaced my ignition coil and spark plug.

Now that my car can breathe better it's starting to sorta hesistate/jitter when pushing he gas a little harder.. especially going up a steep hill, and again it still lacks a little bit of power but not nearly as bad as once before. I've heard that it could be the vanos but i think it's due to my fuel injector. Keep in mind I can still hear my cylinder 2 fuel injector clicking normally I'm just kind of assuming it's the injector because i've replaced the other two possible P0302 causes being again the spark plug and ignition coil. I have the new injector already and will be replacing it maybe tomorrow but i'm willing to hear thoughts on what else it may be.

·
Registered
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
349 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? I'm wondering if that's causing your SAP code.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Have you checked for vacuum leaks? I'm wondering if that's causing your SAP code.
I've gotten it smoke tested but no sign of smoke from anywhere, i've replaced the intake boots, the ccv and the valve cover gasket (although i am missing one nut from the valve cover on bank 2 i need to address that asap). Also i haven't seen any tears on the SAP hoses or any of that.

The SAP only stays on for 5 seconds from cold start which i know is bad i just don't know what exactly is bad. I have the SAP with the MAF sensor on it, i guess it's the newer SAP (pictured below)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts