E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, looking for some general input here. 2002 330xi had small leak (CCV breather) and was smokng a bit. Dealer replaced failing system and all was well. 2 weeks later was driving down the road and engine lost all power, blinking check engine and a look in the rear view showed that I was fogging the street like the batmobile on a get away. Of course stopped right there and got a tow. Apparently the part replaced failed, catastrophically!, and dumped oil straigt out the exhaust. Replaced at no charge. Drove down the road 4 miles and got Check Engine Soon light. Went back and check, Missfire, dont know why, they cleared it and I drove away. 4.5 miles, did it again, went back and it was another missfire, cleared and went on my way, and yes it did it again. left for a day, problem now reported as O2 sensors and Cat (maybe both/all). It seems to me that as this missfire check engine issue did not happen before and a failed "new" part dumped most of the engine oil out the exhaust, that the failed part has caused the failure of the cat/O2 system. Seems pretty logical and I was hoping that other might tell me I am full of crap or not :) thanks for any and all info/support (or even flamining arrows).

Thanks folks,

· Registered
1,702 Posts
In summary, you are absolutely correct. The CCV failure created the oil stream where raw oil contaminated the cat and/or the O2 sensor(s). It will not likely go away or heal itself. Here's where it becomes tricky, the shop policy may clearly point out, in writing, they will warranty parts (they replace) and labor (they require to replace the part) ONLY. They will not assume any liability for damage or part failures outside of their original scope of work. You may have signed a work order or receipt indicating this language.

An honest shop with a reasonable owner, may view it as their liability and make all needed repairs and file a claim against the supplier or their insurance. Okay, really great shops just eat it to retain the customer. Unfortunately, you probably have a dispute on your hands. Don't go crazy on them. Remaining calm, confident and business like always works best with negotiations. They often work with you adjusting the labor and sell the parts at cost to find middle ground. Cussing 'em out like a Pimp on the corner working over one of his girls, gets you nowhere. They will always dig in when it gets confrontational.

· Registered
5,399 Posts
Dealer did it? Call BMW NA and cause a shtstorm if they don't pay for everything.

This is 100% unacceptable. They will pay. If you buy new tires, and driving home a wheel falls of, you would expect them to pay for damages, right? Same exact scenario.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.