E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title. i've notice i've been burning more oil and my neighbor(has an old z3) recommends me to change from 5W30(OEM from getbmwparts.com) to 10w30 or higher. his car runs like a beauty and hes been using a higher grade for a while now.

and when i think of it. it makes sense. news cars run on 5W30 but as we get older should we continue to use? i have (97K miles)

changing my oil next weekend so thinking what i should buy for my next change.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi, There is absolutely no need to switch to a different thickness. The only reason to switch would identify their be aproblem... Have you checked a leak from your VCG and your Oil Filter Housing Gasket... Chances are if you are considering switching oil there is something wrone woth you engine.... you should only use the reccomended oil by BMW not you neighbour who is not a BMW mechanic..

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Hi, There is absolutely no need to switch to a different thickness. The only reason to switch would identify their be aproblem... Have you checked a leak from your VCG and your Oil Filter Housing Gasket... Chances are if you are considering switching oil there is something wrone woth you engine.... you should only use the reccomended oil by BMW not you neighbour who is not a BMW mechanic..
+1

op clean engine department then look for leaks.. Usually OFHG,VCG and steering lines can go bad at high miles.

Oil separator and VCG gives SES on large leak

remember there is the pressure to torque back the bolts " left ,right then right , left every other bolt ... :)

Keep BMW dealer oil, best deal for the quality and trust on product design for your engine ..

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks guys you've been great help! i guess i'll just stick to OEM bmw oil 5w30.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
I've heard this before too, but after doing a lot of my own research I wouldn't buy into it, especially at only 100k miles. Keep running the LL-01 5w30 and just carry an extra quart around and keep it topped off.
Carry a quart of oil? Really? Don't you ever go home where you have a quart of oil, or two, on the shelf so you can add some when you check on Saturday morning?

I was at the store on Friday looking at oil, and NONE of it is shown as LL-01. That's N-O-N-E, not any.

The store carries several brands and weights of motor oil, and several flavors (dino, blended, and full synthetic) of each weight it carries, and none of the oil listed that it was compliant to the LL-01 specification. None. All of it was compliant to the API Grade SL and higher. Some was compliant to some of the Ford, GM, and Chrysler specifications, but not a single bottle claimed to be LL-01. Valvoline Syntec, which is supposed to be LL-01 did not list the BMW spec on the bottle. And Castrol, which is (or was, until recently) a BMW subsidiary did not list compliance to the LL-01 specification on any of its products.

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts
Carry a quart of oil? Really? Don't you ever go home where you have a quart of oil, or two, on the shelf so you can add some when you check on Saturday morning?

I was at the store on Friday looking at oil, and NONE of it is shown as LL-01. That's N-O-N-E, not any.

The store carries several brands and weights of motor oil, and several flavors (dino, blended, and full synthetic) of each weight it carries, and none of the oil listed that it was compliant to the LL-01 specification. None. All of it was compliant to the API Grade SL and higher. Some was compliant to some of the Ford, GM, and Chrysler specifications, but not a single bottle claimed to be LL-01. Valvoline Syntec, which is supposed to be LL-01 did not list the BMW spec on the bottle. And Castrol, which is (or was, until recently) a BMW subsidiary did not list compliance to the LL-01 specification on any of its products.
What? Castrol is a BP company, not a BMW company.

There are several oils that meet BMW LL-01.

Castrol European formula 0w-30, Mobil 1 0w-40, Pennzoil Platinum Euro Formula 5w-30, and Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 are examples listed on BMW's website.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

Lol, yea, really. Most gas stations only stock Dino oil or at best some one off 10w40 synthetic, so yes I keep a quart of oil in my trunk at all times just in case. If you don't, that's your business. I'd rather have oil and not need it than need oil and not have it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,653 Posts
OP, you can find LL-01 5/40s. Total makes one, Fuchs makes an LL-98 that's okay for the '99, probably fine on any e46. Castrol I heard has a newly approved one. But, you could check bitog for actual data, because as mentioned, the measurement of weights isn't identical, and there are more specifications than just weight.

Read oil threads until you're sick.

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
The Owner's Manual AND the Bentley Manual only call for API Grade SH. Since most of the oil on the shelf of the autoparts store is now API SM or higher, the spec is easily met whether the bottle says LL-01, or not.

The oil weight is recommended for CAFE Fuel Standards -- if a million cars use 5w30 instead of 10w40, the fuel savings is huge. If somebody is worried that his car is getting old and 10w40 might not flow out on the driveway so quickly, then give it a shot. It won't hurt, and it might help. It will take more gas, but will you notice a change in a decimal place or two? Probably not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.