E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading this board religiously for months and months now. I must say, D!#M you e46fanatics. Before I found this site I was deciding between an Audi and a BMW. I have the mod bug now and I don't even own a Bimmer yet. So it's definately a BMW for me.

I've been looking for a used 3-series but I haven't decided what one yet. I'm debating between a '00 328 (maybe not because it will be already 3 years old, which means the warranty running out), '01 325 and if the price is right, an '01 330.

My question is, has anyone had any experiences with Carmax? I've searched their inventory and they have a good selection but am not sure if the lower price they offer makes up for not buying from a non-BMW dealer. One of the things I am concerned about is the warranty and how it relates to the BMW warranty. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Although I haven't actually bought a car from them, I did sell one to them - it was one of the easiest transactions I've ever went through, and they beat the stealer's trade-in value by over 2k!

With that said, I'd consider buying from them if 1) I didn't have an existing relationship w/ my dealer's sales department 2) They had a better selection on the lot here in Chicago.

I like their 5 day no-questions return policy - you can basically buy the car, drive it around and see if its for you. Also, the BMW factory warranty should stil be in effect if you buy it thru CarMax, but I'm sure CarMax will try and sell you an extended warranty of their own. Although I don't know what kind of expertise their service department has w/ Bmw's, I did notice they have pretty convenient hours (much better than my dealer's)...

On the other hand, buy a car from a dealer HAS some perks (ya ya ya, i know..) - ie: free car wash, free loaner, etc.. If this isn't important to you, then I'd consider CarMax..

wallstreet_01 said:
Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. I've been reading this board religiously for months and months now. I must say, D!#M you e46fanatics. Before I found this site I was deciding between an Audi and a BMW. I have the mod bug now and I don't even own a Bimmer yet. So it's definately a BMW for me.

I've been looking for a used 3-series but I haven't decided what one yet. I'm debating between a '00 328 (maybe not because it will be already 3 years old, which means the warranty running out), '01 325 and if the price is right, an '01 330.

My question is, has anyone had any experiences with Carmax? I've searched their inventory and they have a good selection but am not sure if the lower price they offer makes up for not buying from a non-BMW dealer. One of the things I am concerned about is the warranty and how it relates to the BMW warranty. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, Absolutely they are good....I have bought two cars from them (when I was living back east) and I must say they are the best...I not only got the best deal but outstanding products...the deal was easy and I never felt pressured.....would do it again in a heartbeat.....

·
Registered
184 Posts
We bought a BMW from our local Carmax... car has some issues, but nothing that Carmax did to it (that we can tell)... Factory warranty is still in effect (the car is at the dealer even as I type)... The only drawback is, once the warranty is up, you are on you're own... On the other hand, we also bought a Certified Pre-Owned BMW from our local dealer... Got a good price, treated very nicely, and best of all, they slap a 6 year 100,000 mile warranty on it... sure, its just for defects, but it beats having no warranty at all... If you go out to the www.bmwusa.com website and do a vehicle search in your area, you can see whats available, even price... then take that info and compare to Carmax, and see if the price difference is worth the piece of mind that comes with the warranty... my 2 cents!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Helped me out in my decisions.

Speaking of warranty, couldn't you buy an extended warranty (6-year 100,000 mile) from a local BMW dealer even if you didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer itself?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not too sure about an extended warranty from a BMW dealer if you didn't buy it from them, but I do know there are 3rd party extended warranties (warranty-gold I think is one) that I've heard decent things about.

BTW: Just noticed you're a fellow Chicagoan. Come visit www.bmwexperience.com - we're a local chicago/IL bmw club that holds meets almost every week. Lots of great people and great rides.

wallstreet_01 said:
Thanks for the replies. Helped me out in my decisions.

Speaking of warranty, couldn't you buy an extended warranty (6-year 100,000 mile) from a local BMW dealer even if you didn't buy the car from a BMW dealer itself?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts