E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
even spending $10.000 on a car i would still have the car put on a lift/rack and checked out by a professional or yourself, remove the material on the sides of the trunk and inspect the inner quarter panels, underneath the hood look carefully for left over masking tape (i have actually seen this on a 2001 mercedes e320) check for newer condition bolts and fasteners on the headlamps and both sides of the fenderwell. carefully check for oversprayed paint on mirrors (not actually the glass part) and on the black seals and modling around all the glass on the car.

good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
here is the actual car i looked at because the price was so low i had to inquire.

http://www.easterns.com/easterns/VehicleDetail.aspx?vid=9444

there was overspray on the passenger mirror around the reflector that actually my sister noticed because she likes the turn signals, that propmted closer looks under the hood where there were different fasteners on the left side headlight and core supprot area which ment this car was beat up on both sides from an accident. the masking tape was on the right side fender just below the crease of the hood.

i am curious what this carfax says, he said it was clean when we went to go see it but we walked away almost laughing at his embarrasment of our discoveries.

·
Registered
96 Posts
luckily most of these second hand dealers dont have a real expensive or correct body work done to their cars and a crafty eyed buyer can spot the defects. it takes a real good body man to cover up stuff but structural damage and welds take alot of money to properly fix and most of these type of places dont wanna spend money on these cars, they want to make money.
its surely a good idea to know more about a certain model your looking at than even the people selling the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.