E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got some time to start wrapping again!! Here's some pics of some interior pieces being wrapped. Only applied first coat of exopy so far and trimmed excess material. Will post pics as I complete the pieces. Starting the four door pieces this evening...

Step 1: Prep piece. This one needs resanding; too much harder in mix initially.... hardened too quickly....

Prep the cloth: This piece was cut for piece above. will be applied tonight.

First cost of exopy applied and excess trim removed.

Close-up of Centre shift trim; first coat exopy.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If this is the case... eww.
I dont think hes actually done yet, im sure hes going to apply more coats of epoxy, giving it the glossy look.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Varnishing?
Parts only have first coat of expoxy. two more coats of epoxy, then sanding 400 - 1200 grit (in stages). Only after that I clear coat. 2-3 layers of clear coat to complete.

Hope you plan on clear coating after the epoxy is on.
see above response

I don't think that material clear coats very well from what I've read :eek:
Your information is inaccurate. Every carbon fiber part is coated with clear cost of some nature (spray or paint on). mine get 2-3 coats of clear coat to finish.

·
Banned
6,314 Posts
That's real CF, not CF fabric. more epoxy to level it out, sand, and then clear. I'm sure that's not the finished product.
Your information is inaccurate. Every carbon fiber part is coated with clear cost of some nature (spray or paint on). mine get 2-3 coats of clear coat to finish.
I was under the impression this is the cheap fabric you can buy from some of our vendors like EuroSpec who claim it to be "carbon fibre" but it's really just a fabric that absorbs everything you coat it with.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I was under the impression this is the cheap fabric you can buy from some of our vendors like EuroSpec who claim it to be "carbon fibre" but it's really just a fabric that absorbs everything you coat it with.
Yea that's the real stuff. You can tell by the fine strands of CF. The stuff everybody sells is just a fabric.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've looked @ other CF like products and vinyl wraps that are out there and IMO they look like s:censor:t! I tired using a real CF embedded coating previously (can see in previous posts) and didn't really like it either; it's gone now too (actually sold that set; they loved it)!!

Real CF is the only way to go; everything else looks like what it is: imitation!!

I'm using real CF cloth; T300-3K/T650 3K 2x2 Twill - 6oz. Carbon Fiber Cloth

·
Banned
6,314 Posts
I've looked @ other CF like products and vinyl wraps that are out there and IMO they look like s:censor:t! I tired using a real CF embedded coating previously (can see in previous posts) and didn't really like it either; it's gone now too (actually sold that set; they loved it)!!

Real CF is the only way to go; everything else looks like what it is: imitation!!

I'm using real CF cloth; T300-3K/T650 3K 2x2 Twill - 6oz. Carbon Fiber Cloth
Very cool. Always nice to see someone doing it right. Sorry for my confusion.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool. Always nice to see someone doing it right. Sorry for my confusion.
NO ISSUE. So much **** out there, it's easy to assume I was using the same crap! Those who know me know I refuse to put **** in my car!! Real CF is the only way to go unless you want your car to look like it's wrapped in plastic vinyl wrap.

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
No offense, but that looks awful and I wouldn't let you do that to my trim if you offered for free.

It's wrinkly and uneven, the weave looks like junk. I'm not sure if you've already put a gel coat on it, but that looks like someone took some exhaust wrap, glued it to their trim, and took a pair of old dull scissors to trim it down.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Why don't you guys post your negative criticism AFTER the pieces are completed.. woowww... I've wrapped carbon fiber parts myself and they all look like that in its beginning stages... Only after its been re-done in resin, sanded, clear coated, sanded, does it look good.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Why don't you guys post your negative criticism AFTER the pieces are completed.. woowww... I've wrapped carbon fiber parts myself and they all look like that in its beginning stages... Only after its been re-done in resin, sanded, clear coated, sanded, does it look good.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
++1...... Guess some folks ONLY buy prepared pieces and have no experience in actually doing something themselves.... Kinda guys that go buy MTech kits because everyone else is running them.... :flipoff: :pfft:

·
Registered
17,008 Posts
++1...... Guess some folks ONLY buy prepared pieces and have no experience in actually doing something themselves.... Kinda guys that go buy MTech kits because everyone else is running them.... :flipoff: :pfft:
LOL. Ok. Let's see it again once you're done.

And I don't have an Mtech kit, the front bumper is all I have.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts