E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do it yet? I was concerned if that 'bubble' on the E46M3 is functional or not if a standard E46 CF hood would fit.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
If you were gonna do a CF hood, I would go w/ 1 layer of paint so that it would match the car but you would still be able to see the CF weave.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking strickly for weight savings. So I would probably paint it or do as M3Matt suggests and do a single layer.

I have yet to find anything documenting the weight savings.

·
Big in Japan
1,120 Posts
i cant imagine the weight savings over the aluminum you already have; i would think it would be strictly a show mod.

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I was gonna do it when I took my car in to repair a dent in my hood. (hit n run while parked) I ended up just keeping the stock hood and painted the front grill and top blk vent LSB. I figured going w/a CF hood on a M3 will look ricey.

·
Registered
464 Posts
MpowerMe said:
Anyone do it yet? I was concerned if that 'bubble' on the E46M3 is functional or not if a standard E46 CF hood would fit.
TCKline Racing has two carbon fiber hoods for the E46 M3. Both retain the power dome.

Light Weight Version: For street use
Super Light Weight Version: For track use, not reccommended for street.

Both are the same price: $1250

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Carbon Fiber hood on E46 M3?

carbonworks said:

TCKline Racing has two carbon fiber hoods for the E46 M3. Both retain the power dome.

Light Weight Version: For street use
Super Light Weight Version: For track use, not reccommended for street.

Both are the same price: $1250
What are the weights of "Light Weight and Super Light Weight"?

·
Registered
808 Posts
MpowerMe said:
I am looking strickly for weight savings. So I would probably paint it or do as M3Matt suggests and do a single layer.

I have yet to find anything documenting the weight savings.
for weight savings? just drive w/ a 1/3 full tank of gas (20 lb. savings) and remove your spare tire (30-40 lb.) and don't get an outrageous sound system (up to 150 lb.). and if you're fat, time to diet.

really though, unless you'll be doing full on track racing (full rollcage, 5 point-harness, racing seats, etc.) you're wasting your time and money.

if you're doing it for looks, that's fine! but please don't do it just to weight savings...this is the worst way to acheive results.

·
The Achiever
1,471 Posts
maynardc said:

for weight savings? just drive w/ a 1/3 full tank of gas (20 lb. savings) and remove your spare tire (30-40 lb.) and don't get an outrageous sound system (up to 150 lb.). and if you're fat, time to diet.

really though, unless you'll be doing full on track racing (full rollcage, 5 point-harness, racing seats, etc.) you're wasting your time and money.

if you're doing it for looks, that's fine! but please don't do it just to weight savings...this is the worst way to acheive results.

there is no spare tire on the M3...

·
The Achiever
1,471 Posts
maynardc said:

umm, does the word "sarcasm" mean anything to you? :tsk:

listen player, i'm not trying to flame you.... and in no way did the fact that you were using sarcasm make it correct to say that you could take out the spare tire....

you stated to take out the spare tire (sarcastic or not) and it doesn't exist on an M3... so, it doesn't work....

does the word "logic" mean anything to you? :tsk: :banghead:

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
maynardc said:
How else would you suggest getting weight of the front of the car? The gas tank and spare tire (if you have one) are in the trunk. Also all the sound dampening, battery, etc are also back there. If you are trying to keep weight balance 50/50 you need to strip weight off the front and there isn't much else up there you can take off. At some point you have start replacing parts with lighter ones. If you paint the hood I don't see how it is for looks?

Tim

·
Registered
464 Posts
tim330i said:

How else would you suggest getting weight of the front of the car? The gas tank and spare tire (if you have one) are in the trunk. Also all the sound dampening, battery, etc are also back there. If you are trying to keep weight balance 50/50 you need to strip weight off the front and there isn't much else up there you can take off. At some point you have start replacing parts with lighter ones. If you paint the hood I don't see how it is for looks?

Tim
Exactly, also TCKline makes a carbon fiber E46 M3 front bumper and fenders to further reduce weight up front.

Front Bumper: $900
Fender: $500 Ea.
DOORS: $2100 Ea.

·
Registered
808 Posts
and in no way did the fact that you were using sarcasm make it correct to say that you could take out the spare tire....

what?! since when did the use of sarcasm automatically make "it correct?" what are you talking about?

so, if I were to say you were as "dumb as a door nail" would you say "I'm not made of a door nor a nail!" get real...I was poking fun at his attempt of saving weight. I really thought that my comment about driving w/ no more than a 1/3 tank would reek with sarcasm...apparently not.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
maynardc said:
I really thought that my comment about driving w/ no more than a 1/3 tank would reek with sarcasm...apparently not.
:eeps: who does that...maybe not a 1/3 but 1/2 :thumbup:

Tim

·
The Achiever
1,471 Posts
this is quite possibly the dumbest argument ever posted on this board....

i was merely pointing out that the M3 did not have a spare tire.... whether you meant it sarcasticly or not, it suggested the M3 did have a spare tire... i was merely correcting you just in case you did not know or someone else might get confused and think that it did.... just drop it and don't blow up over a small correction on your "sarcastic" post.... it wasn't even funny.. :banghead: :ghey: :ghey:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts