BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Carbon Creations hood for my E46 sedan. Here are some things I noticed when i first opened it.

1) No way are the kidney grilles going to fit without fabrication.

2) No way that the little grille cover that holds the windshield sprayers going to fit without fabrication.

3) quality of hood is good, but you can definitely tell it's hand made, or at least looks like it. If I'm not mistaken, Carbon Creations claims it is handmade, therefore not free of imperfections.

4) Edging isn't perfectly straight, but close enough. Everyone with any type of body experience will tell you no aftermarket hood fits perfectly.

5) super light. Freakin insane. In fact, you WILL need to remove the hydraulics that hold the hood up, or when you try to close the hood, you'll bend it until it cracks. Don't do that.

6) hood emblem indentation does not have the two holes for the prongs on the back of the actual badge. That should be interesting.

I'll post pictures of what I do to make everything fit. If you're looking for a CF hood, So far it's a pretty good buy for the money. Every carbon hood has imperfections, don't be scared of my first impressions.

Here are some pictures I took of the unboxing. And my sad looking sedan. Getting my front end repainted. Updates soon, will show all fabrication work, and partial installation.
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267952.758991.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267766.143027.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267791.580320.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267805.005279.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267816.103891.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267830.559030.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267849.870639.jpg
ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406267918.787169.jpg

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just recently bought a seibon hood for my '00 coupe. I'd just snap the prongs off on the badge and double side tape it on. As for the kidney grilles I had no problem with fitment. I just left my spray nozzles and harness off as I didn't use them and kept the dampeners attached to the bay and just connect them back when I need to keep it propped. Didn't feel liKe searching for m3 dampeners or drilling my factory ones out. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Sucks to hear of your problems with fitment. Curious why you decided to by an aftermarket OEM looking hood instead of just buying an OEM hood. I mean I know of the weight savings but unless your car is stripped for track use, it won't make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sucks to hear of your problems with fitment. Curious why you decided to by an aftermarket OEM looking hood instead of just buying an OEM hood. I mean I know of the weight savings but unless your car is stripped for track use, it won't make a noticeable difference.

I wanted to do something different. I'm rolling with the carbon finish for the rest of the summer season. It had to be replaced, may as we'll go all out. Lol. Regardless, I enjoy fabrication. Something about it is just so pleasing when it's all done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, didn't want the m3 hump or the vents, most definitely not a fan.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Hey, I am thinking of doing this, I had found the carbon creations one online last year and was considering it. Also have a sedan 3.

How is it holding up so far? Any issues?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
these hoods are hand laid 2x2 carbon fiber weave using a clam shell mold. Regarding the hydraulics, it's sad to remove OEM parts but it must be done. Otherwise you will end up damaging your hood. I'm glad you are satisfied with your part, I'd like to see pictures of it installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts