·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, I'll check it.

I'm getting a major leak so I was figuring the canister was the culprit. Unless my gas cap is defective - I'm not hearing any air leaking from the gas cap though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also if you happen to have done any work on the car recently make you've had all of the evap system hoses back on. I forgot to attach one at the back of the intake manifold after i swapped the oil separator and got the code you've mentioned. Then again, it could be the hoses around the separator themselves..

The canister would be the last place to look. It sits in the back away from the heat and the vibration of the engine, so i figure the things under the hood would break first.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had it tested - no leaks at all. I reset the light and we'll see what happens I guess. Possibly an intermittent failure of the leak diagnostic pump? Doesn't look too expensive of a part so I guess I replace that if I get the major evap leak code again.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Did you check the rubber hose between the aux air pump and the valve on the exhaust manifold?
The secondary air system has NOTHING to do with the evaporative system......thats a whole different different set of emissions components.

There are alot of probable causes for an evap leak.........purge valve sticking, hose/connection leaking, bad DMTL pump (sometimes water infested).....noone can diagnose it over the internet though. And don't waste your money throwing parts at it. Spend the money to get it diagnosed properly, and fix it yourself if you want to.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes - I agree. I had it tested for leaks. There were no leaks detected - certainly no major leaks which was the code I was getting. I don't plan on throwing parts at it if I can help it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts