E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Issue started last weekend. car had been sitting for 3 days and it was very cold out (20 degrees F). Turn the key with clutch in and it cranked a few seconds (which is not normal) and made a few interesting sounds and started. (can't recall the exact sounds.) I think maybe battery is going out (it's a little over 3 years Duralast gold) Ever since then, it has taken an extra crank or 2 to start. Today, go to start car this morning it's cold (30 degrees F) and it makes some weird noises (like it's a bunch of clicks or something) and I hold the key in the start position for about 10 seconds and it turns over then starts. So I take it to autozone and they run their tests and say all is good (guy says battery is charging at 84%) I have him swap out the battery with a new one anyways (cost me 50 bucks for a $148 battery). Care started up pretty normally, but still has about one extra crank to it, it usually starts after holding the key for like 1 second.
So testing it work (finally got my volt meter back from a friend), went on a quick trip to the store car started with one extra crank going to stare and back. check voltage while car is running at battery get 14.2 volts turn off car voltage is at 12.9 volts immediately try to start car and it makes a bunch of clicking noises (not real loud) and wouldn't start. try turning it off for a few seconds and try starting it again, and now only get a 1 click (from the starter selonoid I'm guessing) and keeps doing that. Now it's stuck in the lot. and need to your oponion on what's wrong. Thanks!!

Car is 2003 325xi with M/T.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replaced the starter and solved the problem. Hope I never have to do that again! Very difficult!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

1 - 2 of 2 Posts