E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been searching google for the past 3 days, but couldn't find the exact answer. I'm hoping you guys could help me out.

My car is a 2001 325i with 157,000 miles (5-speed). It has been running like a champ up until now. In the past 1 year, I did a full cooling system overhaul, vcg, spark plugs, fsr, and full synthetic oil change every 5,000 miles. The only issue I've had was that my original key stopped starting my car. I searched, and found out that I had a bad key.

My issue now, is pretty unique. When I try to start the car, it attempts to click over, but immediately dies out. I try and give it gas, but it will not even rev.
:banghead:

When it dies out, I get;

- Red oil light
- Reg battery light
- service engine soon light
- DSC light

I checked my oil level, I added 1 full quart. I tried jump starting it, nothing. I pulled the back seat out, I could hear the fuel pump when I put it in position 2. Maybe a bad fuse possibly? Or relay?
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
727 Posts
The lights on the dash I assume are the same when the key is in POS2 and mean nothing.

Your best bet is to meet up with someone with INPA/DIS... no starts could be anything from a bad ignition coil/spark plug/injector/fuel filter/bad gas/fuel pump and even bad starter not cranking fast enough.

You can try inspecting the plugs - do any look different?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,649 Posts
Can you describe 'attempts to click over but dies' better?

Cluster test bat voltage...check cables, grounds, jump from hood terminals and check those too.

Look under hood for obvious stuff.

Add gas.

Check battery again...wiggle pull on connections...make sure they're tight and clean.

Replace your entire cooling system, advanced search for symptoms in thread titles. Read until you puke...and lose some hair. If you take up pulling out hairs from eyebrows, even better. The point is you're not alone. Don't expect all the answers in this thread...codes are really important...but looking and doing simple stuff can be too.

GL...

Oh, kidding about cooling system...for now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I tried searching youtube for someone with similar starting issues, but couldn't find one similar to mine. I did find something that could be an issue from e46gabe? Have any of you attempted changing the fuse that he talks about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBpu2iKjfw

DMAX:
When I turn the key from position 2 to start the car, you could hear the engine about to turn on, but immediately shut right back off. I am going to have a buddy of mine bring in a scanner and try and find a real diagnosis. I'll also have him check the voltage on my battery and both of my connections. I'll let you guys know if I figure something out. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Check your MAF sensor and make sure its clean, When i did my supercharger install i put it in backwards, The car has a default setting so it would start and then shut off right away when it thought there was no air coming in, Give it a try

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
Thank you for the replies.

I tried searching youtube for someone with similar starting issues, but couldn't find one similar to mine. I did find something that could be an issue from e46gabe? Have any of you attempted changing the fuse that he talks about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgBpu2iKjfw

DMAX:
When I turn the key from position 2 to start the car, you could hear the engine about to turn on, but immediately shut right back off. I am going to have a buddy of mine bring in a scanner and try and find a real diagnosis. I'll also have him check the voltage on my battery and both of my connections. I'll let you guys know if I figure something out. Thanks again
You have a dead f---ing battery. Sheesh!

Park on a hill and let the car roll for a few feet and pop the clutch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bad Battery and/or Alternator

Just had a bad alternator at the end of the last year. Got lucky, I made it to the end of bay bridge before it died completely. Use a Multi-Meater to check voltage at Batt, anything below 12 is highly suspect. If car starts with a jump, check the voltage at the battery with the car at idle and while someone revs the motor.(Obviously while parked and in neutral) Should see a jump in voltage from idle to a higher RPM. Unfortunately, if this was the culprit for too long, it will make your battery toast as well, having undercharging it for too long. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.