BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried starting my car today. The car turns on, but the engine won't start and I couldn't even hear the starter cranking.

I checked to see if the battery terminals are on okay and I re-adjusted them and when I start the car now, I hear a click (just one click), but the car still won't start.

The car started fine yesterday. However, for a while the red battery light came on for a few seconds and it was off again. So, I don't know if that has anything to do with my car not starting today.

Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
698 Posts
It's your battery. When you're getting jumped, let it charge for 10 minutes and then try to start it. :hi:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
or maybe fuel pump!! does it have a ses light on?? maybe that can be it sound like what happened when my fuel pump went out, but no red battery light came on

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
battery, resulting from bad alternator. If your battery went that dead from 1 night to next morning u've got a charging problem. Or maybe u left a light on somewhere

·
Registered
698 Posts
or maybe fuel pump!! does it have a ses light on?? maybe that can be it sound like what happened when my fuel pump went out, but no red battery light came on
His starter is not turning over because of low voltage. IF it had turned over AND not started, THEN it could be the fuel pump.

battery, resulting from bad alternator. If your battery went that dead from 1 night to next morning u've got a charging problem. Or maybe u left a light on somewhere
When my battery started going out, I had the same problem as the OP. Now that I've had a new battery for 9 months, I havn't had a problem.

The alternator is probably fine. I'm 95% sure the battery just needs replaced.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a new battery and installed it. For the first couple of days, the car started fine. However, afterwards, the car started having problems starting again unless I jump start it.

Although with the new battery, the battery light does not come on anymore.

Is my alternator bad?

I have no idea :S

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realize that when I connect the battery to the terminals at the front, it starts fine. However, when I connect them at the back it won't start. I am starting to think it maybe a problem with the cables. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
413 Posts
when you connect it to the front, that wire is going directly to the starter. Like one of the other people said, its not your battery is your alternator. you wasted your money when you got a new battery.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tried starting the car, and then unplugging the batteries while the car is running. It seems like the alternator is still generating electricity. How do I find out if it is in fact the alternator that is bad?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my car back from a friends who works on German cars and it could be the harness plugs like mine. I know it sounds stupid and not right but check it. My problem was the plug were wet. He told me if was the plug from the motor to the tranny if thats helps.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
ONCE AGAIN :read::read::read::read:

take it to an autozone or discount and let them put the volt meter on the alt and put a load on it. They'll let you know exactly what the problem is. And u can probly recharge that new battery if u hurry up and take care of it!!!

Or maybe u left a light on somewhere...something is drawing a charge while car is off

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm... I tested the voltage of my alternator... it is giving out 14V and my battery is giving out 12V. I am completely puzzled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You will damage your alternator rectifier and voltage regulator if you run it open circuit i.e. not connected to battery also causing potential damage to ecus and sams that are extremely voltage sensitive. Have battery checked with a load discharge tester. Wolly your battery seems to be flat as a charged battery should have at least 12.7 volts. Your alternator when working correctly will always supply a higher voltage than the battery in order to charge it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts