E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I like the e46 because I’m completely set up for programming modules and comfortable with that era‘s tech (i.e. non-tech) and the following 2006+ cars have iDrive 1.0 which I despise and there isn’t a good other option for that system that I’m aware of (Like there are in e46 re CarPlay or BlueBus). I’m considering a 2002 e39 525iT wagon with a manual swap, but I wish it was the 330 or at least the 328 for a car that heavy. Looks like good records but i don’t have a good resource yet for all the common issues like I know so well on e46. I think it still might be m52/54?
2006+ don't all have idrive. The majority of the E90 cars lack it. 2006 330i manuals are rare because they only made that E90 model for one year. The idrive used in 2006-2008 was called the CCC. They switched to a newer model for 2009 and up known as CIC.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
3,152 Posts
2006+ don't all have idrive. The majority of the E90 cars lack it. 2006 330i manuals are rare because they only made that E90 model for one year. The idrive used in 2006-2008 was called the CCC. They switched to a newer model for 2009 and up known as CIC.
Avin makes a plug and play touch screen head unit that fits like factory and let's you switch between idrive and it's Android interface.

Works with all the controls in the car. You can control the android screen with the round idrive selector thing too.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
3,152 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas. I like the e46 because I’m completely set up for programming modules and comfortable with that era‘s tech (i.e. non-tech) and the following 2006+ cars have iDrive 1.0 which I despise and there isn’t a good other option for that system that I’m aware of (Like there are in e46 re CarPlay or BlueBus). I’m considering a 2002 e39 525iT wagon with a manual swap, but I wish it was the 330 or at least the 328 for a car that heavy. Looks like good records but i don’t have a good resource yet for all the common issues like I know so well on e46. I think it still might be m52/54?
I find the e60/e90 platform a whole lot easier to work on. Troubleshooting and repair isn't as bad as you think.

There is protool for troubleshooting and coding of modules. Very powerful and reliable.

Just stay away from the 335i to avoid the twin turbo trauma you'll get when they have issues. The N54 is a rock solid motor and will run forever, just like the M54. But also like the m54 it needs everything around it to be working well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I suggest you get representation that can maximize your recovery, especially because the company/entity that owns and operates the truck will likely have their insurance lowball you. They work for their client, the company, not for you. Also never assume that your own insurance is on your side entirely. In most if not all instances, they try to mitigate payouts even when they know they owe you. This isn’t legal advice because I have no idea what they would do based on these specific facts, but speak to an attorney for sure to get a good idea of what your options might be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got the worst car news ever yesterday. Thankfully no human injuries. Transporting my car across the country due to my family moving. Learned the transporter‘s trailer caught fire in Utah on I80. Total loss of all 9 cars. I’m devastated that my ‘01 330xi w/115k that I had lovingly put hundreds of hours into and gotten thousands of great hours behind the wheel in, is now a husk of charred metal. Need to recoup mentally/emotionally before getting another e46. Anyone know of a well taken care of e46, manual transmission, 4 doors (sedan or better yet touring), +/- xi within ~100 miles of the portland Oregon area?

RIP

She’s right in front of the blue Alfa facing backwards.
View attachment 955388
When you deal with carrier or their insurer (and your own), take a look at the on-line auction sites where 330s have been hot for a couple of years. Lots of past results should go a long way to establish true market value, rather than the way insurers might.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,161 Posts
providing 8k to 10k like examples that were listed for sale on FB and other sites.
8k-10k examples is a heck of a lot of examples. probably only need 3-5 recent sales examples. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: Bali

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,161 Posts
OP very sorry to hear. don’t think I’ve ever heard directly of a story on this or other car forums losing car on a transport trailer to fire. that’s a rough one. just don’t settle for a weak payout. market should still be in your favor for pricing a used E46. although buying another used right now isn’t gonna be cheap as well.
not that you’ll be comforted to trailer another car again across country. but hopefully company will provide all previous funds and maybe comp next transport (if you find/buy car located out of your area).

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,161 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325 CI
10 Posts
I got the worst car news ever yesterday. Thankfully no human injuries. Transporting my car across the country due to my family moving. Learned the transporter‘s trailer caught fire in Utah on I80. Total loss of all 9 cars. I’m devastated that my ‘01 330xi w/115k that I had lovingly put hundreds of hours into and gotten thousands of great hours behind the wheel in, is now a husk of charred metal. Need to recoup mentally/emotionally before getting another e46. Anyone know of a well taken care of e46, manual transmission, 4 doors (sedan or better yet touring), +/- xi within ~100 miles of the portland Oregon area?

RIP

View attachment 955388

·
Registered
2002 BMW 325 CI
10 Posts

RIP

View attachment 955388
So sorry for you, brother.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Brutal, I'd be pretty butthurt over that too, but you'll find another.

I have an e46 sport wagon, 330 zhp motor/exhaust, 5mt going up for sale soon.

It was my daily / HPDE car for most of the last decade and built/maintained with that in mind; plenty of kit in there that this crowd will be familiar with. One last track day next week then will list it, prob on BaT or C&B. NC car, formerly VA.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
12,273 Posts
I've been reluctant to chime in.
First of all, dude..... sorry.

Point of order:
"You chose xxx company because you had a special car and entrusted it to them. I will NOT let you tell me it was the same as any run of the mill E46"

DO WE UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER??

21 - 34 of 34 Posts