E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2001 330xi 5-spd pre-facelift
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the worst car news ever yesterday. Thankfully no human injuries. Transporting my car across the country due to my family moving. Learned the transporter‘s trailer caught fire in Utah on I80. Total loss of all 9 cars. I’m devastated that my ‘01 330xi w/115k that I had lovingly put hundreds of hours into and gotten thousands of great hours behind the wheel in, is now a husk of charred metal. Need to recoup mentally/emotionally before getting another e46. Anyone know of a well taken care of e46, manual transmission, 4 doors (sedan or better yet touring), +/- xi within ~100 miles of the portland Oregon area?

RIP

She’s right in front of the blue Alfa facing backwards.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the end of the day, I think the final struggle will be getting an amount that is as close as I can get to replacing my car with one of similar characteristics. It wasn't a ZHP, it wasn't an M3, it wasn't a show car, but it was in extremely good condition and all maintenance had been done with OEM/similar parts. I will get a million different responses, but I'm hoping for 6-8k from insurance... am I crazy? Any ideas for finding comps? autotrader listings aren't great, bring-a-trailer doesn't have many that aren't M3 or ZHP... other ideas for finding current listings of reasonable value? Given how used prices have spiked since COVID, listings from 2020 or earlier seem generally too-low compared to what I will likely have to pay now. The classifieds section on this forum also doesn't have too many recent examples.

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,030 Posts
At the end of the day, I think the final struggle will be getting an amount that is as close as I can get to replacing my car with one of similar characteristics. It wasn't a ZHP, it wasn't an M3, it wasn't a show car, but it was in extremely good condition and all maintenance had been done with OEM/similar parts. I will get a million different responses, but I'm hoping for 6-8k from insurance... am I crazy? Any ideas for finding comps? autotrader listings aren't great, bring-a-trailer doesn't have many that aren't M3 or ZHP... other ideas for finding current listings of reasonable value? Given how used prices have spiked since COVID, listings from 2020 or earlier seem generally too-low compared to what I will likely have to pay now. The classifieds section on this forum also doesn't have too many recent examples.
Maybe you can assemble receipts from parts/labor that you put into the car as supporting evidence? You can try Facebook Market place..... Sorry for your loss :-(.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
Sorry for your loss. How could a fire start on a car trailer? Must be the trailer hydraulic oil leaking on a hot brake drum or disk. I don't see how an electrical on the trailer can burn the cars.

If all 9 cars burned down, then the fire must have started at the front of the trailer, burned the bottom front car and the moving wind took the remain.

·
Registered
‘89, ‘03 and ‘98 E39
455 Posts
I recently had an incident with my e39, just a hit and run that ruined my front bumper cover and RF quarter panel.

Speaking with my insurance agent (AllState) I questioned her very intently expecting them to total the car. She was very clear to me in that if it’s totaled, they are obligated to make me whole again - ideally the same exact car as you had.

Hopefully you have a good insurance company with enough reach to find you a replacement - it’s their job after all.

In reading different forums it seems to me that the PNW has a very high concentration of BMW enthusiasts, just kind of a feeling I get. I’ve seen a lot of nice cars in forums from around there.

And just to say, AllState did want to total my car because the repair estimate was over $3500 and cited a high likelihood that more parts would be needed once disassembly began. I was pissed, the repair estimate was grossly exaggerated and could have cost me my car’s value. After sending AllState a lot of detailed pictures giving them the accurate condition of the rest of the car they agreed that it’s value did not warrant a “total” and they agreed to send me a check for $3k so that I could fix the car myself or use a different shop. I’m going to fix it myself, ordered painted bumper cover and quarter panel, all the mounting parts for $1k. Will be getting new fog lamps/mounts and headlight covers and any other items I discover and have $2k in the budget so I’m in a good place.

Wish you were, hope you get things sorted.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Look at BMW dealers, (not just BMW dealerships) in the region. That will also be how you will argue the value of your car. Dont even bother looking until you get your check, and don't be afraid to move onto something different, there are a lot of good cars out there, and it's pretty risky buying an e46. You might even find an early 325i e90 with a 6 speed in your budget when the check finally clears.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I like the e46 because I’m completely set up for programming modules and comfortable with that era‘s tech (i.e. non-tech) and the following 2006+ cars have iDrive 1.0 which I despise and there isn’t a good other option for that system that I’m aware of (Like there are in e46 re CarPlay or BlueBus). I’m considering a 2002 e39 525iT wagon with a manual swap, but I wish it was the 330 or at least the 328 for a car that heavy. Looks like good records but i don’t have a good resource yet for all the common issues like I know so well on e46. I think it still might be m52/54?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 525s are MS43 M54, 528s are MS42 M52. I think you either have 525 or a 540 to choose when it comes to E39 Touring. The dealerships are good places to scan for e39 wagons, that's one of the cars that actually gets traded in after 2 decades. There was one for sale here at Bert Smith BMW for under 6k.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I can imagine that hurts. Thankfully everyone is okay. I wonder how the fire happened though. Like others have mentioned I hope the company had good insurance. You should definitely be made whole by them. I wish you luck dealing with their insurance and finding yourself another nice E46.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Please tell us it wasn't your car that started it.

·
Registered
2006 330 Convertible
393 Posts
Please tell us it wasn't your car that started it.

2 things to add here.

1) I am in my 25th year as a career firefighter in a decent sized city in CT. I have been to ONE car fire in that time that was an E46. It was just last year and the car was a POS before the fire. BMWs are not a major car fire problem. Does it happen? Yes. More than other brands? No.

2) Keep in mind that car values differ from region to region. I recently learned that values in the PCNW are far lower than in the NE US. (Actually, that was from All2kool in another thread). Make sure your insurance pays from where your car was registered, not where it caught fire (assuming the value was more out East).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The driver says two tires that were just changed on the trailer at a Les Schwab the day before the fire burst (I’m not sure how he knows) and some sort of friction started the tires on fire then the whole thing went up he said he tried 5 extinguishers and failed. Again, I’m glad he wasn’t hurt.

·
Premium Member
2002 330 Ci
3,152 Posts
That's terrible news to get. I hope you get compensated fairly.

My e53 was hit and totaled 3 months ago by a red light runner.

I managed to get almost 8k for it by providing 8k to 10k like examples that were listed for sale on FB and other sites.

I also provided all receipts for everything that I had done on it in the last month.... which was a lot!

Just don't lose your cool and get them to empathize with you. It wasn't just a car, it was your passion.

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My condolences for your loss. Yes no ife way lost thank God, but it's still an object that you poured your soul into.
Might I recommend Cars And Bids - lots of older BMWs on there and usually very detailed and decent condition. I myself am eyeing some E39 M5's from time to time :).

·
Premium Member
2003 325i Touring
5,202 Posts
My condolences and best of luck with the valuation. Fortunately the market is still nuts right now and that helps.

I went through valuation struggles with my Touring back in February. Unfortunately my insurance company was unwilling to take comps from anywhere but "my market." What a crock, as I traveled 1000 miles to get this car because they simply don't exist in my market. Trying to explain the enthusiast market vs the commercial market to a standard insurance company is frustrating. I just didn't want to fight, but probably should have as there is no way I could replace my car for what they gave me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts