E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help fixing idle always stalls after i rev but it starts without needing tap gas. Might have vaccum leek due to one missing clamp that goes on plastic piece connector . But it is running codes for maf and camshaft open bank a also starter keeps missing anyway to fix this and why does this happen

·
Registered
188 Posts
Start with unplugging the maf and start it. Typically if it has a bad maf or a large vacuum leaks unplugging the maf will put it in alpha/n state and it should run better. Wouldn't recommend driving it like that though, only use as an indicator

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Need help fixing idle always stalls after i rev but it starts without needing tap gas. Might have vaccum leek due to one missing clamp that goes on plastic piece connector . But it is running codes for maf and camshaft open bank a also starter keeps missing anyway to fix this and why does this happen
What codes? What fuel trims?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start with unplugging the maf and start it. Typically if it has a bad maf or a large vacuum leaks unplugging the maf will put it in alpha/n state and it should run better. Wouldn't recommend driving it like that though, only use as an indicator

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Yes unplugging the maf gives it morr power

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Never been tuned should be stock fuel trim and p0102 and code for casmshaft open bank a
What I was asking tou to do is post the codes and the fuel trim values. Whether they are stock or not is irrelevant.
Just post the trims.
Have you tried cleaning the MAF element with MAF cleaner?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I was asking tou to do is post the codes and the fuel trim values. Whether they are stock or not is irrelevant.
Just post the trims.
Have you tried cleaning the MAF element with MAF cleaner?
Idk how to post fuel trim values but codes are p0102
P0340

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Idk how to post fuel trim values but codes are p0102
P0340
P0340 is an intake camshaft position sensor fault.

It doesn't matter what you do with the MAF or anything else it's never going to run properly with a faulty
intake camshaft position sensor.

So replace that before you do anything. You might not have to do anything else.

Before you go replacing the MAF clean the sensor element first with proper MAF cleaner and then let's see what your
mass air flow actually is at idle. Your scan tool should tell you that. It is possible to calculate what it should be
so let's see it.

Your scan tool will also tell you what your fuel trims are. The values you are looking for are called

Bank 1 short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT). Two values.

Bank 2 short term fuel trim (STFT) and long term fuel trim (LTFT). Two values.

The sign (+/-) is significant too. There won't be a +ve sign but if there is a -ve sign in front of them note that too.

They are sometimes called Adaptations Additive (for STFT) and Adaptations Multiplicative (for LTFT)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

It doesn't matter what you do with the MAF or anything else it's never going to run properly with a faulty

Before you go replacing the MAF clean the sensor element first with proper MAF cleaner and then let's see what your
mass air flow actually is at idle. Your scan tool should tell you that. It is possible to calculate what it should be
so let's see it.

Your scan tool will also tell you what your fuel trims are. The values you are looking for are called

The sign (+/-) is significant too. There won't be a +ve sign but if there is a -ve sign in front of them note that too.

They are sometimes called Adaptations Additive (for STFT) and Adaptations Multiplicative (for LTFT)
Im sorr i dont have a scan tool i was using autozones do u reccomend one or can i pullup with a k cable and a laptop

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

so let's see it.

Also p1532

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Im sorr i dont have a scan tool i was using autozones do u reccomend one or can i pullup with a k cable and a laptop
There are lots to choose from.

You don't really need the all bells and whistles cable stuff.

An EML327 wifi adapter for about $15 and a phone app for a few dollars more will give you what you need.

You do have a phone. Right?

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Also p1532
That's A/C evaporator temperature sensor low circuit voltage I think.
But just put that on the back burner for now and get rid of the rough running.
The thing is if the motor is running rough and misfiring you can't really be certain that the other
issues aren't ghost issues that will disappear once the engine is sorted out.
So deal with the intake cam sensor first.

Watch this.
(When you remove the oil cap put a cloth over the pot to make sure nothing falls in there.)
You can do all the testing that Jason does if you like but it's not necessary.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing is if the motor is running rough and misfiring you can't really be certain that the other

Watch this.
(When you remove the oil cap put a cloth over the pot to make sure nothing falls in there.)

Nah the other code is for camshaft bank 2 i believe open circuit and bet i have a obd2 gotta find it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nah the other code is for camshaft bank 2 i believe open circuit and bet i have a obd2 gotta find it

Watch this.

I will change sensor and check back thanks fpr the time i really appreciate it

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
There is no such thing as "camshaft bank 2". Where did you get that from?
There are two camshafts. Intake and exhaust cam shafts. Each cam shaft serves both bank 1 and bank 2.
P0340 Intake cam sensor malfunction.
P1397 Exhaust cam sensor malfunction.

·
Registered
2000 E46 323i, 3.0L and 2.0L Z3's
1,208 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ok. I got that now. Apparently its meaning depends on the car manufacturer.
I'm not sure but I think that might be a VANOS solenoid problem.
I have not come across it before. Figure that one out yourself.
It's not going to affect your idle though. Your acceleration yes.

Font Electric blue Document Number

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is no such thing as "camshaft bank 2". Where did you get that from?
There are two camshafts. Intake and exhaust cam shafts. Each cam shaft serves both bank 1 and bank 2.
P0340 Intake cam sensor malfunction.
P1397 Exhaust cam sensor malfunction.
So whats p1532

1 - 20 of 21 Posts