BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car/audio is acting up! Today, as I was driving, I went over a bump and the audio shut off. I pressed the on/off knob and it came-on. Tested the steering wheel controls, they are fine. I then stopped at the next exit and turned-off the car - the radio did not turn-off as usual - I then turned it off manually,then started the ignition - the car started but no audio. I then turned it on manually and it powered, steering wheels controls worked fine. I proceeded to repeat the same process described above with the same outcome.

Can anyone tell me what wrong here or what is going-on - I'm stumped! :argue:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the fuses for the radio.
Thanks for the reply! :hi: Which fuses should I check? I mean, the radio powers on if I push the on/off knob but it plays for like 10-15mins then it cuts off! I then have to push the on/off button again for the radio to play, and so on,... :banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Are you using an aftermarket head unit or the factory unit?

If its aftermarket I would look at the connections. Something may have come loose or has a weak contact.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
Are you using an aftermarket head unit or the factory unit?

If its aftermarket I would look at the connections. Something may have come loose or has a weak contact.
:werd:

'course, that may have happened even w/the factory unit -- extremely rare, but still possible.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You are the man! :hi: fuse #7 was fried, 5amp - promptly replaced it and all is good now!

My next question is why did the fuse get fried - was a shot or what? :banghead:
Haha, no problem man, glad you got it all working. As for the fuse, there's no real telling why it burned. Fuses are pretty fragile, if you hit a hard enough bump it could have physically damaged the fuse, or possibly caused some wiring to touch metal, any number of things. But anyways, happy motoring with your fixed radio.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Haha, no problem man, glad you got it all working. As for the fuse, there's no real telling why it burned. Fuses are pretty fragile, if you hit a hard enough bump it could have physically damaged the fuse, or possibly caused some wiring to touch metal, any number of things. But anyways, happy motoring with your fixed radio.
Plastic fuses are not fragile at all. Most likely circuit was overloaded by something that wasn't properly installed or a faulty component.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plastic fuses are not fragile at all. Most likely circuit was overloaded by something that wasn't properly installed or a faulty component.
So how can I get to the bottom of this? The only thing I added is a sub and amp. The fuse between the oem battery and the a/m amp is rated at 30amp. Actually, two days earlier I had just replaced it but I'm not sure what I had before that one. Is the 30amp the right one?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
I thought you said that fuse #7 was blown? - I assume this is in the car's fuse box.

Did the amplifier 30A fuse blow as well?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts