E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Good Day

Driving today my BMW E46 2001 , I felt the car was about to stop/hiccup/skid feeling with the yellow lights on
Yellow Brake Light + the Middle Exclamation mark light

Car not started for few days / very cold in London

Afterwards car was driving ok

Worried as I don't want the car to stop when taking Mum to hospital etc...

Would appreciate your advice - many thanks
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Vehicle Gauge

· Registered
'02 325ti Compact
66 Posts
Sounds like the DSC system had an oopsie, detected that something's going wrong and disabled itself, scan for codes with a proper tool that can read BMW specific codes (if you don't have one, INPA on a spare laptop and a K+DCAN cable is the cheapest option, see How to Install BMW Standard Tools ). Also do not drive around with the yellow oil light on unless it's straight to the auto parts store for a top up, that's where the danger zone starts and the next destination is engine damage worth far more than the 10 quid needed to top up on oil.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the DSC system had an oopsie, detected that something's going wrong and disabled itself, scan for codes with a proper tool that can read BMW specific codes (if you don't have one, INPA on a spare laptop and a K+DCAN cable is the cheapest option, see How to Install BMW Standard Tools ). Also do not drive around with the yellow oil light on unless it's straight to the auto parts store for a top up, that's where the danger zone starts and the next destination is engine damage worth far more than the 10 quid needed to top up on oil.
Thanks for the great advice. Just one question - the yellow oil light on turns on when I switch the car on but goes off after a few seconds. I had my MOT few weeks back when oil was check - do you think that's ok.
Gratitude again for your fast feedback .

· Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,684 Posts
Thanks for the great advice. Just one question - the yellow oil light on turns on when I switch the car on but goes off after a few seconds. I had my MOT few weeks back when oil was check - do you think that's ok.
Gratitude again for your fast feedback .
That's fine, just the level sensor failing.

Check your oil more often though, they can burn through it quick. You don't have a sensor to rely on anymore

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The middle dashboard AST ( automatic stability control ) light & yellow brake light which came on with the car feeling like stalling - for the past day these lights are switched off
Was this transient or should I get it check out ?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It'll come back more and more often, get it scanned
Thanks - will a normal mechanic be able to scan? I just called BMW who quoted £234/hr for diagnostics and told me if the lights were not on when they scanned, they may not be able to detect. Unsure what to do. Thanks for your advice - really appreciate the time.

· Registered
2002 330ci auto
1,684 Posts
Thanks - will a normal mechanic be able to scan? I just called BMW who quoted £234/hr for diagnostics and told me if the lights were not on when they scanned, they may not be able to detect. Unsure what to do. Thanks for your advice - really appreciate the time.
£234/hr and they don't know that the car stores codes? lol

If I were you I'd get a BMW scanner 1.4 cable off ebay for £16, spend an hour or two installing the software, and scan it yourself. It's a very powerful tool to have once working. Once a code has been set once it's saved in memory so you'll be able to read it.

If you're somewhere near West London I'm more than happy to scan it for you

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
£234/hr and they don't know that the car stores codes? lol

If I were you I'd get a BMW scanner 1.4 cable off ebay for £16, spend an hour or two installing the software, and scan it yourself. It's a very powerful tool to have once working. Once a code has been set once it's saved in memory so you'll be able to read it.

If you're somewhere near West London I'm more than happy to scan it for you
Hi, so sorry for my late reply - ive had a few stressful weeks caring for a family member .

I am so grateful for your advice,time to educate me and even offer of help - you are a true angel ;0

I live in London, NW but can't travel out much as caring for someone . The problem seems to have subsided for now.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and may you be blessed for being kind - you're a true asset to this forum :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts