BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced just my rear tires. I had bought the car used and the tire wear was uneven, and there is still a good amount of life left on the fronts, so I left my conti 205/50/r17 fronts on and put pirelli 225/45/zr17 rears on... running it staggered until I feel the need to replace the fronts (and I bought all 4 tires at once).

Any way one of the freeways near my house is cut with grooves, and when I'm driving straight on it I can constantly feel my car pull and push left and right as though it was really windy outside. On a smooth freeway I don't really notice it.

Do you think this is due to the newness of my tires, they need to wear in a little and not catch the grooves? Or do you think its because of my staggered setup, or the treads not matching?

Also on a smooth freeway when I'm making a large banking turn I feel as though my car pulls away from the turn then shifts straight then pulls away then shifts straight etc... its not a smooth turn. Think this is due to the newness of the tires or the mismatch?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
There's about four different things that could be going on here, more or less in order of probability -
1) new tires are a little bit slick at first - same issue as this guy http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=512221
2) when was the last time you had your alignment checked?
3) your trailing arm bushings may need replacement - if the feeling is proportional to speed, that's a good indication
4) shocks may be worn

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I had my alignment checked when I got the rear tires put in, and it was aligned true. My car acted fine before the tire change, so I'm assuming (and hoping) that i isnt the bushings (or the shocks).

So it sounds like you think its more of the new tires rather than the staggered tires.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Thanks for the response. I had my alignment checked when I got the rear tires put in, and it was aligned true. My car acted fine before the tire change, so I'm assuming (and hoping) that i isnt the bushings (or the shocks).
Did you get a print out? 4 out of 5 alignment techs are clueless inbreds, so it's never wise to just take their word for it that everything is fine.

So it sounds like you think its more of the new tires rather than the staggered tires.
It's hard to tell if it's the new tires from where I'm sitting. But it's free to wait a few hundred miles and see if it gets any better.

Merely being staggered wouldn't cause this on it's own. The extra tread width may be amplifying an existing problem, but it won't be causing it.

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,530 Posts
Sounds like tramlining to me -- this tends to happen more when your tires don't have the same pattern (i.e., your fronts are different make/model than your rears) and when they're wider (relative). I have 225's all around and on some newer sections of the 210 my car sliiiiides all over the place.

As the guys said, new tires take some time to come into their own -- my new PS2s had me going all over the place for the first 500 miles or so.

P.S. Your rears will tend to wear about twice as fast as your fronts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Twice as fast?? On my last car it seemed as though my rears wore out more in the middle, but the fronts had a lot of wear on the outsides...

·
Registered
650 Posts
I believe it's the tires. Do a search on pirelli. I have P-zeros ms and above 65 mph it was squirrelly. After few thousand miles it'll be okay.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I installed 2 new front tires and had the car aligned. Felt great but alignment wasnt perfect, still pulled a bit to the right. A few months later, i had the rears replaced with the same Yokahoma Advan Sports, and at the same time had them re-align the car (it was under warranty and they did it since i complained that it still pulled.) Now it not only still pulls a bit to the right (even after the 2nd alignment) but it does the same walking thing right to left on the freeway, except mine does it on any surface, even after 500 miles or so on the new tires. What i dont understand is why it got squirly after the rears and 2nd alignment, and i didnt feel it for the first alignment/fronts... Do you guys think this is the same issue as Semantik?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I had a very similar thing happen to me. I installed 2 new front tires and had the car aligned. Felt great but alignment wasnt perfect, still pulled a bit to the right. A few months later, i had the rears replaced with the same Yokahoma Advan Sports, and at the same time had them re-align the car (it was under warranty and they did it since i complained that it still pulled.) Now it not only still pulls a bit to the right (even after the 2nd alignment) but it does the same walking thing right to left on the freeway, except mine does it on any surface, even after 500 miles or so on the new tires. What i dont understand is why it got squirly after the rears and 2nd alignment, and i didnt feel it for the first alignment/fronts... Do you guys think this is the same issue as Semantik?
If the car always pulls in the same direction, it's an alignment issue.

If the car has an unstable feeling shimmy in the rear without an directional bias, then it's the trailing arm bushings.

It's also possible to have both problems, with worn trailing arm bushings making it difficult to get a reliable alignment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the car always pulls in the same direction, it's an alignment issue.

If the car has an unstable feeling shimmy in the rear without an directional bias, then it's the trailing arm bushings.

It's also possible to have both problems, with worn trailing arm bushings making it difficult to get a reliable alignment.

I have different tires front and back, my car does feel unstable towards the back. I really noticed it when I let someone else drive my car and sat in the passenger seat - felt like the tail of the car was fish-tailing driving down the freeway at 70mph. I thought it was just the tires (Bridgestone RE050 225/45/17 on the front, Toyo T1R 245/40/17 on rear).

How does one check the trailing arm bushings? Are these possible DiY replacements?
And... my car has 45K.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think its just the new tires in the back causing my car to feel squirrley... I think that the staggered setup is causing the weirdness on large high speed turns... and I'm hoping that the squirrliness goes away and doesnt push me to put on my new front tires and throw away 30-35% of tread thats left on my current fronts.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have different tires front and back, my car does feel unstable towards the back. I really noticed it when I let someone else drive my car and sat in the passenger seat - felt like the tail of the car was fish-tailing driving down the freeway at 70mph. I thought it was just the tires (Bridgestone RE050 225/45/17 on the front, Toyo T1R 245/40/17 on rear).

How does one check the trailing arm bushings? Are these possible DiY replacements?
And... my car has 45K.
How many miles do you have on those tires now?

Replacing the TAB's is quite a PITA. There's a few members who have done it DIY though.

At 45k miles though, worn shocks are more a more likely culprit than the bushings.

But before you spend big bucks, you should at least check alignment and make sure everything is in the reasonable rangeb. That you can either DIY or pay some el cheapo shop just to measure it rather than dropping $100+ for a full alignment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I forgot to mention, I had my trail arm bushings replaced before the first alignment. The tire shopped noticed they were shot and I had them done, then wheels aligned. So I have new bushings, 4 new tires (245 45 19 Yokahoma Advan Sports) and my wheels have been aligned twice, and it still pulls and feels squirly. With all this known, do you guys think its at the fault of the shop for a bad alignment or is there some other underlying issue?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I forgot to mention, I had my trail arm bushings replaced before the first alignment. The tire shopped noticed they were shot and I had them done, then wheels aligned. So I have new bushings, 4 new tires (245 45 19 Yokahoma Advan Sports) and my wheels have been aligned twice, and it still pulls and feels squirly. With all this known, do you guys think its at the fault of the shop for a bad alignment or is there some other underlying issue?
I'd guess you have two issues -
* lousy alignment
* worn shocks

How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd guess you have two issues -
* lousy alignment
* worn shocks

How many miles on your car?
86,000... i suppose it could be shocks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same fishtaling problem, although mine's recently added a vibration every so often when doing over 40MPH. It isn't super bad, but it's enough to notice and be annoying.

Mine's one of 3 things-
1) Trailing arm bushings
2) Rear shocks are in need of replacement
3) New tires haven't yet been worn in

...I'm hoping it's the tires, since "free" is the cheapest fix to any of the above problems.
=-0

1 - 20 of 22 Posts