E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325i Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is like my 3rd post today but it seems this is a place where i might get answers to my issues. anyways last one i promise.
When accelerating right at 30-35 mph my car does a decently violent shake. it doesn't do this at any other speed it seems at least as far as 90. Now i did some testing and if I'm going below 2 rpm then the car wont rattle when going past 30-35 and so on. I do need a new radiator fan one of my blades is broke which does cause my car to shake subtly when idling or stopped. i think it might be that but there completely different shakes. does anyone know what's going on here?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Where is the shake? In the steering wheel? At your elbow? On the brake pedal? When does it stop? Manuual transmission or automatic? Describe the actual shake... Quick, like a machine gun or slower? Any pitch to it? How many miles? Shake in a straight line or in a turn? Does it get worse with speed or turning? If in a turn - then which direction?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Could be transmission related -- get a scanner to read what the computer is picking up. Also, if you're driving around with a damaged radiator fan, it can eventually break at highspeed and damage a bunch of other parts in there. Not sure how long you've had this car for, but if you're not prepared with time/money to constantly chase issues, you'll hate it and get rid of it pretty soon.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325i Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where is the shake? In the steering wheel? At your elbow? On the brake pedal? When does it stop? Manuual transmission or automatic? Describe the actual shake... Quick, like a machine gun or slower? Any pitch to it? How many miles? Shake in a straight line or in a turn? Does it get worse with speed or turning? If in a turn - then which direction?
Shake is kinda on my elbow more in the middle of the car. it stops after 30 miles per hour. automatic transmission. its somewhat fast quick rattle last about a second. 193k miles on the car. shakes straight, doesn't affect the cars movement. if going fast/ high rpms when getting to that mark is very violent shake then gone, if going right at 2 rpms or a bit slower i can feel it but not as noticeable.

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325i Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be transmission related -- get a scanner to read what the computer is picking up. Also, if you're driving around with a damaged radiator fan, it can eventually break at highspeed and damage a bunch of other parts in there. Not sure how long you've had this car for, but if you're not prepared with time/money to constantly chase issues, you'll hate it and get rid of it pretty soon.
Love the car well aware of the issues its had a lot of engine issues, most taken care of now. the fan hasn't been too long just in a tight spot at the moment looking to buy a new one in a few weeks. don't typically go high speeds at the moment just in case. vie already put too much time and money into the car to call it quits but will check it out with the scanner when i can thanks

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330 M Package 306km 1996 BMW 318 Convertible 180km
125 Posts
If you can describe that shake a bit more it may help. From what I know about certain rattling and shaking, often the heat shield tends to get loose depending on your driving habits. You may want to get underneath and just check around. Also I had a weird rattle and I narrowed it down to a brake shield that was loose from when I had a wheel bearing replaced And it was not properly done. From your symptoms it could possibly be transmission related.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Sounds like the CSB (Center Support Bearing) - especially at the elbow. Guibo can also cause it and when mine went out it was like a machine gun at my elbow at the same specific RPM/gear combination and would go away one I shifted (mine was a manual).

I do have a video of my issue somewheree ion this forum - use Google to find it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts