E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

My friend was driving back from vegas as I was asleep. I woke up to us running out of gas. Triple A came and added more gas. Enough to put the needle over the second line but NOT half a tank.

When I try to start the car it will not start. The battery is fine and it sounds like its really trying to start but that there is no fuel in the engine.

What I have tried:

- Turning the key to positon 2 frequently.
- Checking the fuel pump fuse (Not blown)
- Starting the car while pressing on the gas.

When I turn the key to position 2 and put my ear to the back seat where the fuel pump is I do not hear any noise. Should I always hear something when the key is put to position 2?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Bought a new fuel pump (BOSCH) and have been watching various videos and saw that the hose clamp may need to be replaced if its factory. Does anyone know what size the clamp is so I can have it purchased just in case. Thanks!

Update: It was indeed the fuel pump. I followed a DIY on here and replaced it. The car is running smoothly now! Many thanks to everyone that helped! I am extremely grateful! The mechanic asked for $600!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Lift the back seat bench (bicep curl it up), and tap the fuel pump with a rubber mallet.
Its not a science, but it may get it working again.

If it does, its 100% a fried fuel pump.
If not, its still 99% chance your fuel pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lift the back seat bench (bicep curl it up), and tap the fuel pump with a rubber mallet.
Its not a science, but it may get it working again.

If it does, its 100% a fried fuel pump.
If not, its still 99% chance your fuel pump.
Anything that can be used in replacement of a mallet? And I shall try that now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, if it is the fuel pump do you guys mind linking me to where I can buy a new one? I have seen plenty of great DIY's.
2001 BMW 325CI

·
Registered
282 Posts
Also, if it is the fuel pump do you guys mind linking me to where I can buy a new one? I have seen plenty of great DIY's.
2001 BMW 325CI
Siemens and VDO are the famous ones.

BOSCH is another good one.

FCP Euro, ECS, Amazon - compare prices and take your pick.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The Fuel Pump is under a cover. I can't see how beating on the cover will help but if he removes the four screws holding the cover plate on and then lighty taps on the Fuel Pump, it may start again. I had a Cadillac Catera that needed this 'bat to the tank' tactic every one in a w while.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Are you drunk? I'm certain that the MAF should never have any fuel near it or passing through it.

He could remove the MAF and spray starter fluid into the intake.
Hey memorial day was just yesterday:shhh:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Are you drunk? I'm certain that the MAF should never have any fuel near it or passing through it.

He could remove the MAF and spray starter fluid into the intake.
I was suggesting that if he is on the side of the road without starting fluid, he can try a small amount of gas instead. I've poured a little gas onto the air filter many times on a car that won't start to get it to at least idle rough when the fuel pump wasn't working. As long as he doesn't soak the MAF sensor with fuel or starter fluid he will be fine. The instructions on a can of starting fluid say to spray it onto the air filter anyway with the MAF still installed. Once you spray the starting fluid or gas onto the air filter, just push the gas petal all the way down and try starting the engine. It should manage to idle really rough if the fuel pump is out. Pushing the gas petal opens the throttle body and allows the vapors to get into the cylinders. How exactly do you think fuel vapors can damage the MAF sensor? I once idled my Acura very roughly using this method and the MAF sensor has never been cleaned in 217,000 miles and is still fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just bought a new fuel pump by Bosch and I'm going to install it. My question is should I be hearing the fuel pump working at key position 2 at all times? Regardless of anything? Because I definitely do not hear the pump at all when I turn to position 2.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,588 Posts
The pump primes when you turn the key to position 2 but won't keep running till it starts. If you check the voltage at the pump it will show 12v for a few seconds and then drop way down. When you do the pump, put the gasket on the opening first and then put the pump in place, followed by the lock ring. Have you checked the fuse and relay? The relay can swapped with the horn relay which is also green. Behind the glove box IIRC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The pump primes when you turn the key to position 2 but won't keep running till it starts. If you check the voltage at the pump it will show 12v for a few seconds and then drop way down. When you do the pump, put the gasket on the opening first and then put the pump in place, followed by the lock ring. Have you checked the fuse and relay? The relay can swapped with the horn relay which is also green. Behind the glove box IIRC.
I have checked the fuse. Any video link or DIY on checking the relay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Bought a new fuel pump (BOSCH) and have been watching various videos and saw that the hose clamp may need to be replaced if its factory. Does anyone know what size the clamp is so I can have it purchased just in case. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
The factory clamp cannot be reused - and I used a pair of wire cutters to cut it off. I then used an 18mm from a variety pack of 12 I got at the Dollar Tree.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts