BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
May the farts be with you, always
6,806 Posts
yes cam postioning sensor does that, it will also throw a code.

I noticed you can make it stall by revvvving high..and revving it again when the revs fall.

&
yes cleaning the ICV has cleared my most recent problems. Even a Maf cleaner may work in this situation

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So replacing the vanos o-rings won't do much in this situation? I intend to replace them anyway since I had ordered the parts a week ago from beisan.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
Sounds like ICV to me, but while there, go ahead and do the stuff on that 'trip.'

Clean maf, disa, icv, tb, replace rubber behind; use proper cleaners, replace lower intake boot.

That fixed my stalling issue...probably mostly icv with a little dirty tb thrown in would be my guess.

I don't think vanos causes stalling, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the chance to pull the codes after the SES light came on:

P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire Detected

So I swapped #3 with #1 to confirm after I physically checked the plug under #3 (looked normal). Now I'm waiting for the SES light to come back on, pull the code again and see what I come up with.

I'm still going to clean the Mass Air-Flow sensor, the DISA, the Intake Control Valve, and the Throttle Body and check for leaks in my boots at the same time for good measure. If the problem persists after all this, then I'll go back into looking to replace the camshaft positioning sensor.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Confirmed that it is in fact coil #3. Bought the replacement from the dealership (unfortunately I paid almost $50 more than what I would have online but I live in Hawaii and can't afford to wait 2 weeks for it to come in), now I'm about to install it. Update in about an hour (gotta let the car cool a bit).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its obviously been well over an hour, I forgot to post the update. All went well except I dropped one of the bolts in the radiator base thing and it took me about an hour to get out, but whatever, I'm new.

The light is still on but it doesn't sputter as much, there's definitely an improvement but not the solution i was looking for. Does it usually take time before the symptoms go away or is it supposed to be immediate?

Either way im going to reset the SES light and see what it says when it comes back on, also going to clean out all those parts i mentioned and sea foam the injectors. Im also going to buy all new spark plugs even though i might not really need them. Couldn't hurt i guess...wish me luck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been about 2 weeks with my whip just sitting in the garage looking bored...i'm using my buddies Monte Carlo for the time being and WOW is it a step down, but at least i'm mobile.

Pulled out the DISA a few days ago and this is what came out:

Photo_7D9841A9-7B6B-C86A-4E66-4A33BDA59857.jpg

So i'm guessing it's safe to say that's my problem? Either way it obviously needs to be fixed. I've read that some people end up losing that metal pin somewhere in their manifold, so i'm pretty lucky I was able to get out as much as I did.

On top of that I followed through and cleaned the MAF sensor, the inside of the boots, throttle body, and the intake control valve. Now I'm just waiting for the part to get here.

Update when it does...

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
So you know you'll need rtv to install the new one. Old ones like mine had an o-ring, but newer ones evidently came with rtv from the factory.

I sure hope it's that, OP. Glad you found it, and glad you got to do all the cleaning too! You should notice a smoother running car from all that!

·
Registered
152 Posts
So you know you'll need rtv to install the new one. Old ones like mine had an o-ring, but newer ones evidently came with rtv from the factory.

I sure hope it's that, OP. Glad you found it, and glad you got to do all the cleaning too! You should notice a smoother running car from all that!

I recently installed a new DISA in my car and didn't use any rtv. The new Disa had a new gasket so I figured that should be fine. Should we use RTV regardless ? My car has been a little rougher at idle then usual.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
I recently installed a new DISA in my car and didn't use any rtv. The new Disa had a new gasket so I figured that should be fine. Should we use RTV regardless ? My car has been a little rougher at idle then usual.
I had an o-ring and that's all I used. If this was a bmw disa, then the gasket should be sufficient, but I thought all later models just came with rtv.

Rough idle can be many things...so I'd say start with the basics...and if you haven't cleaned things down to the TB, that'd probably help. Not just for cleaning the icv and tb, but for checking the intake boot for leaks...though if I was down there and hadn't replaced it, I'd just get a new one for $12-15.

You might take a hose and use it as a stethoscope to see if you hear a hiss from your disa, otherwise I'd say look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My car stalled several times before I replaced the Intake Cam sensor (not exhaust cam sensor). It may not throw a code, mine didn't. I think I bought my car cheap due to this failure and the prior owner (female) wanting out of the scary, unreliable car. The failure normally would just kill the car yet start right back up. This would scare anyone but months later it hasn't duplicated with the exchange.

·
Registered
26,431 Posts
My car stalled several times before I replaced the Intake Cam sensor (not exhaust cam sensor). It may not throw a code, mine didn't. I think I bought my car cheap due to this failure and the prior owner (female) wanting out of the scary, unreliable car. The failure normally would just kill the car yet start right back up. This would scare anyone but months later it hasn't duplicated with the exchange.
See post #11

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

M54B25's had o-ring sealed DISA's the M54B30's did not. Instead it was built into the valve.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I had an o-ring and that's all I used. If this was a bmw disa, then the gasket should be sufficient, but I thought all later models just came with rtv.

Rough idle can be many things...so I'd say start with the basics...and if you haven't cleaned things down to the TB, that'd probably help. Not just for cleaning the icv and tb, but for checking the intake boot for leaks...though if I was down there and hadn't replaced it, I'd just get a new one for $12-15.

You might take a hose and use it as a stethoscope to see if you hear a hiss from your disa, otherwise I'd say look elsewhere.
No stethoscope is needed. Just spit around the seams between the DISA valve and the intake. If your spit is sucked in, then you sir have a DISA valve intake leak.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't recall seeing or pulling out any kind of o-ring or gasket when I took off the original damaged disa, nor was there any kind of residue around the seal, which I assume there would be...better yet, should there be?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-323Ci-M52_2.5L/ES517985/

It seems like an easy thing to apply, something that can be bought at an auto parts store, couldn't hurt either way.

The charts don't show any kind of seal either...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=11_2879&hg=11&fg=40

Also, the part I purchased doesn't mention anything about that either, just the two torx bolts that were stripped to hell on mine...come to think of it maybe that's why there isn't any sealant, the first guy took it off and never put any back on???

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11617544805/ES25793/

No disrespect, but am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts