BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, why does my car jerk when i take off.. i have a 5 speed manual.. i put it on 1st gear, rev 2000 rpm and let the clutch out slowy..car tends to lurch also.. any ideas ? am i doing something wrong ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
yup,

you should be reving up to 6000 rpm

and then drop the clutch as fast as u can:thumbup:

·
Banned
2,186 Posts
zeb0r said:
hi, why does my car jerk when i take off.. i have a 5 speed manual.. i put it on 1st gear, rev 2000 rpm and let the clutch out slowy..car tends to lurch also.. any ideas ? am i doing something wrong ?

How many miles do you have? And what state are you in?

Rich

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here go look at this site. Revving to 2000 rpm for a general launch is too much.

This is an M5 virtual driving school. It applies to an M5 and probably to other tricky manual transmissions as well.

http://playground.sun.com/greg/

In the M5 a gentle launch just needs to be revved to about 1000 and then you just let the clutch out. There's really no jerk or anything. I don't know, but see if this guy's site will help you. Just look at the instructional videos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AzN_M5 said:
Here go look at this site. Revving to 2000 rpm for a general launch is too much.

This is an M5 virtual driving school. It applies to an M5 and probably to other tricky manual transmissions as well.

http://playground.sun.com/greg/

In the M5 a gentle launch just needs to be revved to about 1000 and then you just let the clutch out. There's really no jerk or anything. I don't know, but see if this guy's site will help you. Just look at the instructional videos.
The links in this site dont work when u want to download them if u have the videos saved somewherre can u PM them over or put a different link? THANX!:D

·
Banned
1,486 Posts
yea something is weird with the newwer engines, its hard to launch them smoothly at a low revs, i think maybee its the drivebywire cause u cant perfectly actuate the gas down there on the rpm range.....

i used to think i sucked, but any other car i can launch perfectly smooth...

also u can turn off DSC and turn off engine braking (hold DSC for a long time till the BRAKE light lights up) and then try launching ure car and u will see its alot smoother (assuming ure actually good :) .. i think its just ****ed up software with the drivebywire, which forces u to launch at a higher rpm and let the revs come down as u let the clutch go, to keep it smooth

i have a 2002 325 btw

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Is your car new? The first couple of miles on my car weren't so smooth getting into 1st gear. Now im pretty used to it. Is this the 1st manual car youve had? You do know how to drive it right? As long as your smooth on the release of the clutch it shouldnt be jerky. Also once you feel it engaging dont let up super fast.

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
bmws tend to be so smooth that you will feel every tug, jerk, and bump.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an '02 325i and have noticed the DBW is a little tricky. I usually try for a 1200 RPM launch but it is easy to overshoot alittle. That said if your car is jerking you probably releasing the clutch too quickly.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
I don't rev the engine at all I just let the clutch out

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
You have to learn to do it. You should try not to rev so much, as well.

Jerking means you're doing one of two things: Letting the clutch out too fast, or not giving it (enough) gas as it starts to engage.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can tell you exactly what this is and how to fix it as I have been working on fixing the same problem. The electronic throttle is EXTREMELY sensitive in first and at the bottom of second gears. What is happening is that you are letting off of the gas and reapplying it in an effort to correct the lunge forward and the pull backward. In other words you are letting off of the gas (by the tinyest amount) trying to stop from accelerating to hard (again, we're talking small adjustments here). So, the solution: you have to learn how to trust the accelerator. Launching at a lower rpm is a good goal but it does make this harder at first. You have to resist the urge to pick your foot up (think tiny subliminal adjustment) and just keep it steady. Eventually you'll learn the proper amount of gas required to accelerate at the correct speed and you'll grow used to not making these tiny adjustments...problem solved. Hope this helps, I still do it every once in a while, but I can tell you this is definitly your problem.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Extremely sensitive? :lmao: The problem is that there's a long delay between what your foot does and what the car does. Ever driven an E36? You actually could control your launch with the throttle. The E46s are so slow that you can only modulate the ultra-vague clutch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
Extremely sensitive? :lmao: The problem is that there's a long delay between what your foot does and what the car does. Ever driven an E36? You actually could control your launch with the throttle. The E46s are so slow that you can only modulate the ultra-vague clutch.
Ok, I'll buy that. Sensitive...lag...very different, same result, same solution. Then again, I'm coming from a pontiac, so sensitive is a relative term. It is the same issue though, making an adjustment that is not foot/feel coordinated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts