BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone has experienced the same thing as I have, but doesn't your car feel heavier after you got everything installed (subs+amps+speakers+wires+box)? For me, there was a tremendous increase in weightload. I could literally feel my car trying to pull the extra weight.

Also, because of the extra weight, when I come to a complete stop, there's a "thump" from I'm guessing around where my brakes are. Someone told me that I had to get the flange replaced because of the excess weight in the trunk. ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST? OR KNOW A WAY I CAN FIX IT MYSELF? Much thanks....

·
Registered
319 Posts
The only thing I feel is that the car does not break away in the rear as fast as it used to do.
No problem for me though ...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Uhm, this is kind of to be expected, depending on the size/total weight added to your trunk. What size woofer(s) did you get? I'm guessing if you can feel the performance deterioration, you probably got something like 2 12"'s in a huge ported box with like 2 amps...

Anyway, there's not much you can do about it. Maybe try rebuilding a lighter box? Drop one of the woofers? Try running the sub off the stock amp? (just kidding..)

Replacing a flange? I haven't heard that one - but I do know several SPL people who had to get industrial springs/shocks to compensate for the hundreds of extra pounds in their trunk..

JB28 said:
I don't know if anyone has experienced the same thing as I have, but doesn't your car feel heavier after you got everything installed (subs+amps+speakers+wires+box)? For me, there was a tremendous increase in weightload. I could literally feel my car trying to pull the extra weight.

Also, because of the extra weight, when I come to a complete stop, there's a "thump" from I'm guessing around where my brakes are. Someone told me that I had to get the flange replaced because of the excess weight in the trunk. ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH THIS WILL COST? OR KNOW A WAY I CAN FIX IT MYSELF? Much thanks....

·
Registered
449 Posts
Heh - c'mon Hans, you know you only drive your car to do shows, how would you ever get a flat??

:)

Just get a can of fix-a-flat at your local hardware store, or buy it through BMW and they can slap a roundel on it, call it "the M mobility kit" and charge you 10x more...

Hans_ACS said:
And if I run a flat tire, well, I am in trouble :)

·
booo for body roll.
3,406 Posts
yeah just take out the spare and see how it feels. this thump, are you getting a vibration through the pedal or is it just an audible sound?

·
Manwhore
2,799 Posts
I took out the spare, and they made my sub box out of lightweight MDF. So its really not that bad for me.

Also wont bmw roadside help ya out if you dont have a spare?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took out the spare tire as well as the center piece of where the spare was, but the thump is still audible. I don't feel a vibration or anything, but I can hear it.

My box is also made out of mdf.

·
Registered
319 Posts
drgalleg said:
Heh - c'mon Hans, you know you only drive your car to do shows, how would you ever get a flat??

:)

Just get a can of fix-a-flat at your local hardware store, or buy it through BMW and they can slap a roundel on it, call it "the M mobility kit" and charge you 10x more...

mmm, ok, you're right 1-0 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts