BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So ive had this Intermittent Starting Issue.

Car starts fine and one day it just doesnt start.

After turning the keys only to hear the pump whirl, kicking, rocking it 1st and second..it comes to life and all is good for a few months.

it comes back and doesnt start..

starts out of nowhere and problem goes away for months..

mine came back yesterday and after reading it sounded like this guys problem to the teeth!
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=310634

so I was ready to give up and order the starter and wrench to remove the starter from the engine bay, but I couldnt resist making sure I eliminate other parts like the clutch sensor.

so I followed these directions

from post 69
http://m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=211320&highlight=clutch+sensor&page=7

and now the car starts with no problems at all!:evil:

unlike the bypass clutch switch thread ive seen for non m, my car's switch is located at the base of the cltuch the original "plunger type" is missing from my 03's as seen in the blurry picture

following the directions on the thread, I used a small sharp pick to pop the cover off the terminal pokeinside to push in the barb while pulling to take out each connections (purple yellow and blue brown) wrapped it and now im home free without having to order a 250 dollar starter or a special wrench to remove the starter bolts from the engine bay!

so happy that this worked ..if you run across this strange starting problem and its not the battery, it can be the 40$ sensor that went bad.

Attachments

·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Banned
326 Posts
Thanks man, before I buy part #24 is there anything else I should do to confirm this is the faulty part? Is there a way to test for a bad solenoid or starter?

Did you get any error codes when you had this issue?

·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peaked code 1b 50

Chain grip. Points to this sensor. But code showed after few drives with the bypass. Read the thread on the first play from 59 and it will show you how to bypass the clutch switch. So you can rule that out. before you buy anything

·
Banned
326 Posts
In the first thread I read many posts about the clutch stop having something to do with this. Do you have a clutch stop?

I installed a clutch stop a couple of months ago and this issue only started after that. The weird thing if it were the clutch why would the car start at all. :facepalm:

I have an alarm, so following your guide to disconnect the clutch switch. Is that going to cause issues with the alarm?

After you replaced #24 and reconnected the wires in adapter. Did your starting problem go away?

Peaked code 1b 50

Chain grip. Points to this sensor. But code showed after few drives with the bypass. Read the thread on the first play from 59 and it will show you how to bypass the clutch switch. So you can rule that out. before you buy anything

·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I do not have a clutch stop , but I do have an alaram and it doesnt effect the clutch sensor

but.

have you tried removing the clutch stop and starting the car?

the clutch stop becasue you can set it like a screw to be far out prevents the trigger point for the clutch switch to activate.

take the clutch stop off and push in the clutch pedal all the way and see if your car starts.

Now if you removed the clutched stop and it didnt start,

then I would check the clutch switch.

The only way to tell if your clutch switch is bad is do the bypass on the wires following the 2nd link ( from page 69) and to the bypass trick

and for me yes the car would not crank or start because i had a bad clutch switch sensor.

If you hear a click on the ignition its not clutch switch related..If you hear nothing but the whirrling of the fuel pump it may be this switch.

its just to rule out the components ..I tracked it down to the switch yours may be starter related..or even battery.
:thumbup:

holla

·
Banned
326 Posts
Why does the guy (2nd link post 69) say if you don't have an alarm you should do this mod and bypass the clutch sensor? It implies bypassing the clutch switch is going to cause the alarm to trigger or something.

I'm going to keep a plier in the car so the next time the car does not start I'll remove the clutch stop and try. If that does not help I'll try the clutch bypass option.

I only hear the fuel pump priming, once it's done when I crank the car I hear nothing. So it does seem like an electric related issue. The clutch module could be it.

Thanks man, I was about to go and order a starter. With labor it would have cost m3 $550.

·
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as for the alarm system and no brainer comment...I dunno, it doesnt effect the alarm system at all..

its kind of a pain in the butt to get all the screws out get under take things apart to check the clutch bypass..but just like you said..no click it can be the sensor.

i saved myself that amount of money as well.

·
Banned
326 Posts
It happened last night, I tried again a second time and pressed the clutch pedal firmly the car started right away. Usualy I have to wait 30-60sec between tries but this time it cranked right away after the first time. So this makes me think it's the clutch module.

I'm going to order part #24. Do you think I should also order the wire adapter ($6.80) or keep using what I have?

The install seems straight forward. Is it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts