E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day another problem with this car. :censor: Once again this car doesn't turn on; but this time the car will crank.

The first time I noticed this problem was when I stopped for gas and as soon as I was about to leave, the car would not start. But after like 5 min it was finally able to turn over. Days later when I was about to leave the house the car wouldn't turn over at all.

I've already swapped out the pump relay... Nothing

I've check the fuel pump and it works perfectly but I noticed the power is cut off. Probably DME?

The fuses are good.

Recently (just last week actually) I had the EWS replaced from my local BMW dealer. Also just a couple of days ago I replaced the battery. What can the reason be?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Year? Miles on car?

Other things you've done recently?

Use title search for "crank no start"

Try another key (though I think a bad key just won't crank).

After some point of trying again and again, your battery will get weak. Hook it up to a charger.

A new battery doesn't mean it's good...you might not have built up the amps you need, and maybe your cranking is too slow? It will get weaker, though, so have charger or have someone around to give you a jump.

Ah, you know what? Check your Kalim Fuse...if it's blown check the easy to get to things on it first. In my case, a short in the intake cps was causing a crank, no start. Both are fed off this fuse, as are 7 other things. FP relay is powered from it, so before you buy a new DME, look for alternatives. There are nine things on this one fuse; if it's blown, you're in luck...you've narrowed your list of possibles considerably!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Find a local with code reader...should have mentioned that before.

Disconnect maf for grins. Try searching 'flooded engine' --think you hold the pedal half or all the way down when cranking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 2002 325ci with 116k miles. The "kalim" fuse is good. And the battery isn't the problem. My first time having that problem was a day after of buying a new battery.

The maf is disconnected since it has a bad maf sensor.

I checked with my obdii scanner and the only problem it shows is the maf sensor in which I already know.

My dealership said that the starter was going to need to be replaced soon but the car cranks so it cant be that.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
$3 can of starting fluid will clearly answer your questions.

2 second shot inside air filter box and if the engine starts and immediately dies, then you have a fuel delivery problem. If you have an EWS problem still, you will not get any power to the injectors.

If your fuel pump is original, I would change it. Easy way to tell is pull the bottom of the rear seat, if the sound proofing tabs on the passenger side are still intact and not cut, you have the original fuel pump.

The problem may or may not be your pump, but the pumps only has 7-8 years in these cars, then they are just waiting to fail.

Not sure your description is clear, the engine cranks but does not start?

You mention the fuel pump is good, but you mention the power is cut off??

Valmont, replace your ignition switch if your pump has been replaced and you still have issues, this is what I would do next. I think the ignition switch is only about $65 and is pretty easy to swap as I recall?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea the fuel pump is original. I pulled it out this morning to see if was running. The pump is running fine but I did noticed when the keys was on the 1 position there would only be power for like 5 sec and would cut off.

Notice in 3:45 there is a constant power on the fuel pump? Well, for me thats not happening. I'm not sure whats the voltage since I checked it with a test light.

http://youtu.be/aqVGpkan0rE?t=3m45s

My car is doing exactly the same thing like the car in the video. It would crank but not turn over. But the fuel pump is working. (You can hear it running and also seen it running)

It feels like something is stopping the fuel pump to run properly.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Threads like this make me worried to drive >.< Fu.k. I hope you get this sorted! Fast!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like fjof said try starting fluid.
Also because there is a current dtc the car might not be running other monitors which would reveal a second problem, its unlikely but possible. Replacing the maf would be a good start,
pun intended.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I really want to sell my car now.. Everything was all good until I lost my keys. It's just been a domino affect of problems afterwards. >_<
Don't let my pesimistic nature push you to sell your car!!! Be strong, DIY and you'll be okay!

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,645 Posts
Of the recent things done, I wonder if a glitch with EWS coding, maybe. Or since it seemed to happen just after the battery, think of that first.

Try a jump start from under the hood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.