E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going for an aftermarket alarm this week, but I need serious recommendations :thumbup:

I remember the old school stuff like Viper and Hornet, but haven't been up to date on anything new.

$$$ doesn't matter, but whats the best system/deal out there?

Thanks, I'd appreciate the feedback please! Saw a system with pager today, but not sure. Also considered tossing my Emporer Scorpion in there. But stinging applies after the break-in :lmao:

PM or just post away, I'll be checking.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i know this is OT but im just wonderin what mods you have, i checked your old sig but its really hard to read the list :dunno: tia

·
Registered
874 Posts
Actually, in this case, the stock alarm is probably the best way to go...the car is prewired, you have a motion sensor, you'll get to use your key fobs (and not have any new ones hanging on your chain), its under warranty, and you can get it cheap from CircleBMW!

That said, you can't go wrong with a Viper...but Alpine alarms are nice too. A good Viper with all the bells and whistles...is about 500-600 bucks installed. Generally a good alarm will run you about 350-400 or so installed.

·
Registered
874 Posts
oh..by the way...A lot of alarms (avital, scorpion, hornet, etc) are all made be DEI...the same company that makes Viper. They are pretty much the same in quality, but they are made for different markets (i.e. Best Buy vs. a Stereo shop). If its made by DEI, it shouldnt matter what brand it is (just look at the box or ask a sales rep if its made by DEI).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Liquid Fire said:
i know this is OT but im just wonderin what mods you have, i checked your old sig but its really hard to read the list :dunno: tia
Check PM

The Dream:

Circle BMW right? The originally warrenty has been severly VOIDED after my mods, but i will check it out. Thanks!

Maybe Viper too

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TheDream21479 said:
Actually, in this case, the stock alarm is probably the best way to go...the car is prewired, you have a motion sensor, you'll get to use your key fobs (and not have any new ones hanging on your chain), its under warranty, and you can get it cheap from CircleBMW!

That said, you can't go wrong with a Viper...but Alpine alarms are nice too. A good Viper with all the bells and whistles...is about 500-600 bucks installed. Generally a good alarm will run you about 350-400 or so installed.
Circle Bmw

DAMN, only $225 :yikes:

Thanks bro!

Now what, purchase and drop off at the dealer? I think i'd rather have them do it, and have the option turned on of only one key being able to disarm.

Ill do it in one shot while it gets painted and the door fixed

·
Registered
874 Posts
Now what, purchase and drop off at the dealer? I think i'd rather have them do it, and have the option turned on of only one key being able to disarm.
You can actually do it yourself, Circle BMW has on their website the wiring schematic. I'd actually suggest taking it to a stereo shop as they'll probably charge less than the dealer would to install the alarm...then have the dealer activate it. Here is what I would do:
1) Buy the alarm from Circle, and check to see if how much your local dealer will charge to install it (some dealers won't install it at all since you didn't buy it from there, but thats rare)
2) Download the wiring/installation instructions from Circle's website
3) Go to a stereo shop with the alarm, show them the instructions from Circle and see how much they charge. It is not a lot of work as the car is prewired----and any stereo shop should be able to do it with ease...and more than likely it will be only a 2 hour job (vs an aftermarket alarm which is like 4 or 5 hours).
4) Once that is done, take it to the dealer and get it activated..only 60-70 dollars for this!
5) voila! done..alarm with little hassle and no tapping into the cars wiring

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
OEM alarm is one of the easiest installs of all the mods. Read the DIY here and if you still don't think you can do it then get the dealer to do it (but I'm positive u can handle it). Also, the dealer has to activate it once u get it installed.

http://www.my330i.com/mod8.php

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TheDream21479 said:

You can actually do it yourself, Circle BMW has on their website the wiring schematic. I'd actually suggest taking it to a stereo shop as they'll probably charge less than the dealer would to install the alarm...then have the dealer activate it. Here is what I would do:
1) Buy the alarm from Circle, and check to see if how much your local dealer will charge to install it (some dealers won't install it at all since you didn't buy it from there, but thats rare)
2) Download the wiring/installation instructions from Circle's website
3) Go to a stereo shop with the alarm, show them the instructions from Circle and see how much they charge. It is not a lot of work as the car is prewired----and any stereo shop should be able to do it with ease...and more than likely it will be only a 2 hour job (vs an aftermarket alarm which is like 4 or 5 hours).
4) Once that is done, take it to the dealer and get it activated..only 60-70 dollars for this!
5) voila! done..alarm with little hassle and no tapping into the cars wiring
YOU ARE THE MAN, I MUST SAY :thumbup:

There's my route and I am ordering right now. Since the crew at the BMW body shop are much more down to earth than the sales desk. When I go to send send my car to get fixed, Ill have them throw it in and program for one key.

Thanks!!! Printng away now

·
booo for body roll.
3,105 Posts
i want to get an alarm with a pager. i believe it's the viper system, around 600installed in my area. good price? will get model numbers later.

·
Registered
874 Posts
you sound like you also had a really bad experience there...mind i ask what happened?
No...I was an installer there for about a year and a half. Some of the installers are awsome...best buy can pay better than a lot of stereo shops so a lot of experts can and do work there. But a lot of times, the people are inexperienced...sure they may be MECP certified, but book knowledge and practical knowlegde is two different things.

Plus, you don't tend to see a lot of BMW's, so they don't work on them often. If its anything "common" they have no problem with it...when you start doing custom stuff and having to wire in more complex vehicles, it often goes over the head of the installer (whether they admit it or not). Also, best buy doesn't have a lot of tools on hand to do the really nice custom jobs.

I was the senior installer there, I did do some interviews but often times upper management would hire people that I wouldn't feel comfortable working on cars...just too young and green.

I am glad to help with anything I can!! :) If you need advice or have a question, you can always PM me directly too!

Good luck with the alarm!

·
Registered
874 Posts
i want to get an alarm with a pager. i believe it's the viper system, around 600installed in my area. good price? will get model numbers later.
There are pro's and cons to that alarm. It is a great unit..and the key fob will tell you which part of the vehicle was tampered with. There are two huge flaws that I see with it though. The battery life on the fob sucks and second it is REALLY bulky and huge. Which isn't a big deal, but when you add that to the large BMW key...and if you have other keys on the ring..it can get annoying in your pocket. It pages you sure...but do you think you'll get there in time to do catch anyone in the act? If it were me, i'd do the OEM...but if you insist on the aftermarket...i'd get a regular Viper alarm. Plus, with the factory alarm, you use the factory key so you retain the window open, sunroof open, and the trunk release without having to pay extra to have all that programmed into the new fob.

·
Registered
57 Posts
titanium330ci said:

Check PM

The Dream:

Circle BMW right? The originally warrenty has been severly VOIDED after my mods, but i will check it out. Thanks!

Maybe Viper too

How did you get your warrenty voided...? just by installing the alarm?

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
clifford, one of the g4 models. thats what i have and works great, you could adjust the sensitivity of the alarm by the remote and add a proximity sensor, which i should have done.

·
eXpect the uneXpected!
309 Posts
For stock alarm, is it a must to have the clown house?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts