BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to live in Malibu with my parents up in the canyons and used to drive them on a daily basis, and got pretty good at canyon driving.

Then I moved to the city, and since, i've been wanting more power in my car. So I've done some research looking for power upgrades etc, and tonight I decided that before I start, I better hit-up the canyon (which I have not done in about 1 year) and take my car for a spin.

I convinced myself, that I DO NOT need any power upgrades. I found myself getting nervous around a number of turns, and my car still having plenty of torque to pick up after the turn to get a good accelaration and prepare for the next turn.

So do i really need more mods at the moment? Prolly not, I think i'll need to get back to canyon driving and tracking a bit before I spend any money on mods. I'm not the freeway or red light racer, got in enough trouble to have given that up.

So headers + exhaust first, or intake + ecu???

lol ;)

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
If you want mods...suspension, wheels, and tires. :thumbup:

When canyon driving with those, you'll want more power before long.

Or an exhaust. Performance gain is negligible, but the sound of a BMW I6 with an exhaust that lets it roar is beautiful. :)

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
if you are driving on twisting roads you need these

mod's
front and rear cross braces
heavy duty sway bars front and back
perf.tires
coilovers with corner balancing to get best handling possisable
they balance your car with you in it so front and back and side to side is balance all the same or as close as possiable
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...

i've got the sway bars, i've got the 19's, and i've got half the suspension.

I think i've turned into a ***** is all ;)

btw, i love your car bob

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
Better brakes might save your life in the canyons. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had a similar epiphany after my first autocross. I realized that my modded 330i was too powerful for me to control. I think, even stock, I would have been fighting against all the power. In retrospect, I may not have spent as much on car mods as I would have on "modding the driver." You'd be surprised how fast a driving school will make you. Faster than any mod, I'll tell you that much.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,483 Posts
sfzBimmer2 said:
I had a similar epiphany after my first autocross. I realized that my modded 330i was too powerful for me to control. I think, even stock, I would have been fighting against all the power. In retrospect, I may not have spent as much on car mods as I would have on "modding the driver." You'd be surprised how fast a driving school will make you. Faster than any mod, I'll tell you that much.
:werd:

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
sfzBimmer2 said:
You'd be surprised how fast a driving school will make you. Faster than any mod, I'll tell you that much.
:thumbup:

Quote of the day: Drag racing is for fast cars, autocrossing (or road racing, take your pick!) is for fast drivers.

·
Registered
902 Posts
fasteddie said:
Better brakes might save your life in the canyons. :)
:werd: Go with some nice poweful brakes, I dunno how aftermarket ones are, but the M brakes/M brake pedal feel own compared to anything else I've driven.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts