E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my break pads are effin dirty, they make a whole lot of brake dust, WEEKLY! I will be replacing these soon with some pads that don’t dust up so much, in any case, I just can't stand dirty wheels (or engine bays for that matter, but that’s another thread) I picked up my 325Ci in Jan and have been wanting to get these wheels cleaned up in a bad way. It looked like they never have been done before.

I considered many wheel cleaners such as
Royal Brown
Iron X Gel
D140
Mothers All Wheel
Sonax Full Effect
Auto Finesse

My first choice was the Iron X Gel, but I chose Royal Brown because it was safe for Chrome and Painted surfaces, (in case I wanted to use it for some other purpose in the future)

OK--The down and dirty!!

Royal Brown can be diluted, but because my wheels were in such bad shape, I went full strength.

I let it soak for about 2 minutes and then scrubbed with a brush

Then did a rinse

This is what it looked like after just one pass with the Royal Brown. I ended up having to doing several passes to get all the residue off.

Left over sticky back from wheel weights. I had to gently get them off with my dull all purpose knife.

Rinsed again. I found these two square indents in three places on all my wheels, must be from the manufacturing process, Red Circle, the yellow circle is some sort of deposit from the breaks and/or dirt. These spots needed to be chipped off with the back of my Brass brush, the scrubbed with the brass side.

I then took some 220 grit sand paper and did a wet sand all over on the inside to remove any remaining fine grit on the wheel.

Can’t forget the Lug and Hub holes.

After all the Royal Brown cleaning is done, I did a good rinse, then wanted to remove any leftover Royal Brown. Sprayed some SG and wiped the wheel good and then rinsed and dried with a micro fiber cloth.

I went to Auto Zone and picked up some Paste Wax. I wouldn't put this on my paint, but it’s good enough for inside my wheels.

Let it set in, then buffed it out with a micro fiber cloth.

The finished wheel. It looks dull because of the micro "ribs" but its shinny all the way down.

The outside still needs cleaning, but you can see the inside now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
good effort. many people don't ever bother with this but its these little things that separate the good from the ok.

Im glad to see you put a coat of canubawax on aswell. Makes life so much easier cleaning in the future and not something most people think to do. Good result

·
:D
7,334 Posts
Mmmm I love me a set of nice OE chrome wheels.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good effort. many people don't ever bother with this but its these little things that separate the good from the ok.

Im glad to see you put a coat of canubawax on aswell. Makes life so much easier cleaning in the future and not something most people think to do. Good result
Thank you, I wanted the canubawax on there for just that purpose, to make it easier to clean in the future.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mmmm I love me a set of nice OE chrome wheels.

I didnt really care for the chrome wheels at first, but they are growing on me, at least for this car. Silver with chrome trim, the wheels fit this car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Just a side note, simple green should be used really carefully, IE rinse it off immediately, it can remove the anodizing from aluminum.
(My wife used to work at a company that used it in concentrated form to strip anodizing off where they didn't want it.. )
Of course it wont affect all anodizing probably depends on the content of the dye.. But be careful just cause its bio degradable don't make it safe!

On another note, I was considering using plasti dip on the back side just to protect the aluminum and potentially make the annual deep cleaning easier..

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something about the inside of wheels clean making the car feel better!
Those look awesome! I'm with you on that for sure.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a side note, simple green should be used really carefully, IE rinse it off immediately, it can remove the anodizing from aluminum.
(My wife used to work at a company that used it in concentrated form to strip anodizing off where they didn't want it.. )
Of course it wont affect all anodizing probably depends on the content of the dye.. But be careful just cause its bio degradable don't make it safe!

On another note, I was considering using plasti dip on the back side just to protect the aluminum and potentially make the annual deep cleaning easier..
I sprayed it, wiped it, then rinsed. didnt let it set more than 30 seconds. But I didnt know that about SG. I will be carful for sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I made the mistake of putting simple green in one of those cans you pump up with air so I could clean an engine..

Started spraying it and HOLY Shi* the vapours would kill ya, like getting papper maced, now I stick to a paint cup and a brush to get it on dirty engine parts... LOL

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Looks awesome! I REALLY need to do this!

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I made the mistake of putting simple green in one of those cans you pump up with air so I could clean an engine..

Started spraying it and HOLY Shi* the vapours would kill ya, like getting papper maced, now I stick to a paint cup and a brush to get it on dirty engine parts... LOL
wow, I just purchased a pump for my simple green to do bigger jobs like my engine too, its funny you said this.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
706 Posts
honestly i dont really see the point of cleaning the inside of the wheels. They get dirty SO fast and its a PITA to take them off again to clean. The only time i'd clean the inside of the wheel as you did is if I was going to sell the wheels.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
honestly i dont really see the point of cleaning the inside of the wheels. They get dirty SO fast and its a PITA to take them off again to clean. The only time i'd clean the inside of the wheel as you did is if I was going to sell the wheels.
Hey bimmernate, is that the Presidio I see in the background of your picture?

I see where your coming from, but for me, I dont mind this on a few levels.

1. Working on and cleaning on my cars are somewhat therapeutic for me. Most of my day is spent behind a computer for my work. Getting out of this chair is good for me.

2. I really hate it when my hands get dirty when I work on my car, which is another reason I keep the engine bay clean as possible.

3. It feels good to know the wheels are cleaned up. The wax will make it easier to clean in the future.

4. My car is faster now because they are clean...well at least it feels like it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey bimmernate, is that the Presidio I see in the background of your picture?

I see where your coming from, but for me, I dont mind this on a few levels.

1. Working on and cleaning on my cars are somewhat therapeutic for me. Most of my day is spent behind a computer for my work. Getting out of this chair is good for me.

2. I really hate it when my hands get dirty when I work on my car, which is another reason I keep the engine bay clean as possible.

3. It feels good to know the wheels are cleaned up. The wax will make it easier to clean in the future.

4. My car is faster now because they are clean...well at least it feels like it.
That sure is the presidio!

And that definitely makes sense. Maybe i'm just lazy, haha

·
Registered
170 Posts
For me it's Pride! Everything else is clean except your rims.

I saw the mayor of a city I lived in attend a dedication ceremony wearing a nice suit and tie. gave a great speech. And then he walked from behind the podium wearing dirty crusty hiking boots.

Your shoes need to be clean.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts