BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since the warranty expired on my car, it seems so is everything else...

1st i had to replace the oil stand gasket; then new belts, spark plugs, radiator servicing, filters (all for a tune-up); then a belt tensioner and idler pulley; replaced all four brakes and rotors; and finally an ac blower regulator.

NOOOOOWWW... my car wont crank properly. she's only done this a few times but im concerned. the ignition will turn, but then she'll die out and the dash lights will flash service engine soon. wtf...its BEEN in service for the last 8 months.. and when she does crank to start, it seems she has a really hard time stablizing (especially when she has been sitting for a few hours) and the motor will cause the car to shake and grumble...

what is it now, starter? battery connection? help. me. please.

jess

:banghead:

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry to hear. Wish I could help but no idea what it could be.

On the plus side the fact that you led on that your a girl on this forum will bring in a plethora of attention, so I'm sure someone will know whats going on.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah my guess would either be battery or fuel pump. good luck! hopefully things will get better for you.

·
Apple Jews
9,679 Posts
i say check electrical first. you might not be getting spark, or enough spark. maybe bad/fouled plugs?
then if you HAVENT changed the fuel filter in the last 30k miles, doit.

still happening, i'd run a compression test.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
i'm gonna guess a few things such as cam sensor, fuel pump, numerous bad coils,
is it possible you can have the codes read at like a local autozone or something? that would help

intake boot wouldn't cause the car to violently shake. a bad maf is possible but usually wont' cause it to do that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
enough juice to crank the starter but not quite enough to turn the engine. My girlfriends lexus did the same thing, the engine would crank but the nav screen kept flashing so we thought the it was something electrical but AAA showed up and jumped us and we were off.

·
Registered
33,137 Posts
Get a code readout for the car. If you post that information here, people will be able to much more accurately diagnose your problem and you can avoid throwing money at things that aren't even broken.

enough juice to crank the starter but not quite enough to turn the engine. My girlfriends lexus did the same thing, the engine would crank but the nav screen kept flashing so we thought the it was something electrical but AAA showed up and jumped us and we were off.
It takes more current to start a car than run the engine at idle usually. Also once an engine is started up, it gets power from the alternator and not the battery. But obviously if you have a car with sensitive electronics, like your lexus's nav system, a dead battery would cause problems.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Would an OBD VAG test present codes on this car? If so get a free test at autozone... do you have any CEL's

·
Registered
828 Posts
It's not the battery. I recently needed to replace my faulty battery, but the symptoms were different: car would start up fine but take a few more cranks than usual on a cold morning or after sitting for a while. Also, turning on the radio for 15 minutes while the car was not running would result in me getting nothing but clicking noises while tryng to start the car; i.e. no cranks.

I'll vote for fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts