E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,368 Posts
I think at this point the water pump's going to be sacrificial, too...
with the impacts it has already absorbed I would not be surprised if it didn’t already compromise its integrity on the bearings/seal.

personally if holding it with a belt doesn’t work i’d take the rest of the pulley apart to gain more access to the four bolts to use those to secure for leverage. saw zall would be my later fun choice

· Registered
95 Posts
there isn't.

This is exactly why Milwaukee makes the sawzall.

I fear.

t
I too believe this is the quickest solution. Find the longest hacksaw metal blade you can find and go to town. Have a long chisel available as well in case the sawzall doesn’t go all the way through the bolts. Good Luck.

· Registered
2003 M3 cabrio
1,070 Posts
While sitting in a drivethru my serpentine belt came off the pulleys somehow and I completely lost power steering and alternator I'm guessing. Anyway I tried removing the fan but it just won't budge. I'm using the correct tool and am aware it's reverse threaded as I have removed it once before years ago. While trying to get it off I managed to crack the water pump pulley where it's going to crumble with any more pressure. I tried then to remove the hex screws but 2 of them are stripped, I'm thinking from the previous owner. I got a replacement metal pulley for whenever I can get the fan off. I am not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I like pneumatic hammer with a pointy end To remove that nut.

· Registered
2005 325i wagon 5 speed manual / 2007 328xi 4 door sedan automatic
46 Posts
I've been wacking at it with a hammer and using penetrating spray. Like mentioned I whacked it so much that I cracked the water pump pulley that the other part of the tool uses for leverage. I think the bolt is seized from heat since I have a coolant leak somewhere as well.
Take a blow torch heat the area until hot then try to take it off.

· Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,223 Posts
OP, if for some reason the belt method doesn't work for you, you can try heating the nut as previously mentioned. if you have a common propane blow torch, or better yet, one that uses MAPP gas, you can use a blow torch extension to get heat on the nut. Blow torch extensions are very common in the plumbing world where you can run into clearance issues when trying to sweat copper pipes. $32 from Amazon.

Bicycle part Auto part Event Cable Fashion accessory

· Registered
53 Posts
a normal chisel and hammer work almost as well as an air hammer with chisel bit. You still need to hold the pulley for best effect.
IMO there is too much plastic around there to be able to heat it, you'd burn the WP pulley and fan blades and your leaky OFHG would ignite. Also this fan has the viscous clutch that is rumored to die if stored on the shelf incorrectly, I'm sure a torch would make it suffer. Dynamite would work, if you just want it removed; you know?
If your WP pulley has cracked, might as well hammer it the rest of the way out of there so you can try to grip the water pump shaft, I've been there too.

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,368 Posts
the OP hasn’t been active in 5 days.

although curious what he did to remove. looks like we may be wasting our time

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
OP, if for some reason the belt method doesn't work for you, you can try heating the nut as previously mentioned. if you have a common propane blow torch, or better yet, one that uses MAPP gas, you can use a blow torch extension to get heat on the nut. Blow torch extensions are very common in the plumbing world where you can run into clearance issues when trying to sweat copper pipes. $32 from Amazon.

View attachment 966592

My buddy who is letting me borrow his car has one that he is offering help with. In about a weeks time I'll be done with this semester and get right on it!

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
the OP hasn’t been active in 5 days.

although curious what he did to remove. looks like we may be wasting our time
Nothing yet! It's finals week in my university so was planning on working it all out in about a weeks time when I have time. I will for sure post a follow up in this thread after first trying the belt trick, then heat, then air hammer if anything before looking for another vehicle.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts