E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Premium Member
11,935 Posts
The damage was resulted from being under the impression that I needed to give it more force. As soon as it cracked and I saw the bolts bent I went to trying the hex screws inside the fan.
I understand why the locking tool caused the bent hex bolts on the pulley -- it is just too tight. The looped belt trick is better then the locking tool, because the pulley has the much bigger radius than the 4-bolt circle, and locking torque is directly proportional to radius, as Sir Newton said years ago.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Turn the fan by hand until the nut is bottomed on the wp shaft. STOP. Done. Make sure that it's bottom, if not, when engine running, it tightening the nut too tight by momentum. Make sure to coat the threads with some grease before install.
No coolant or heat soak, no ocean salt caused this issue. It was torqued in too tight.
Understood and yes I must've cranked it on too tight then unfortunately. I also used some PB blaster initially without luck but when trying the belt trick I will of course apply some more. I appreciate your help, thank you! I just need this vehicle to last me another 5 months through nursing school before I can give it all the time, money, and care in the world.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wedge to what?

Use the new belt for the looped belt trick, and if it's not damaged after, then just use it for normal application.
I figured they meant a wedge similar to how I would use the belt to stop the pulley from spinning? I will just use a belt trick though as it'd be simpler to go to an auto parts shop for a cheap belt.

· Premium Member
11,935 Posts
I figured they meant a wedge similar to how I would use the belt to stop the pulley from spinning? I will just use a belt trick though as it'd be simpler to go to an auto parts shop for a cheap belt.
A wood wedge cannot hold the round pulley no matter GOD even tries to shine His magic. How?
The wood piece only makes contact at one point, while the belt wrapped around 360* on the pulley. If forced into the wedge, the wedge can damage the WP bearing as it applies a gigantic radial force on the bearing shaft. The looped belt is safer for the bearings as it applies minimal radial force on the bearing shaft.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You also need to look for the root cause of why the belt came off. I bet it was the tensioner pulley no longer aligned to the belt, or the pulley from idler or tensioner has too much free plays from worn bearing.
Understood, I will look into what could have caused it. I am obviously a beginner DIY car person but I'm pretty sure I also have a valve cover gasket leak, could that had led to the belt being greased making it slip off?

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
No, even it got an engine oil shower, it wont' come off. Only mis-alignment cause this.
Well dang I was hoping it wasn't potentially something new. When/If I get the fan off I will play around with the pulleys and do some research into what to look for. In about a week after finals I will have a month off from school to get this figured out or I'll need a new car possibly. Again, I really appreciate your help, thank you.

· Premium Member
11,935 Posts
I will play around with the pulleys and do some research into what to look for
By hand feel around the pulleys to make sure they don't have tons of plays when rocking. When belt is installed, run engine for a few minutes, turn off, look across the bigger wp pulley face and see if the belt length is parallel to the pulley face, and if the belt is near the tensioner and idle center; if belt is at the outer edge, then the pulley is sagged out of parallel to the belt.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,875 Posts
This is kind of a last resort, and it seems you might be there. A lot of old school mechanics don't even fuss with the "proper" tool that you tried first. They just go to old faithful cuz it works every time. Chuck a chisel blade in an air hammer and be done with it. Make absolutely damn sure you know which way is loosening the nut and hit the nut about two or three pulses with the air hammer and off comes the nut.

I'd seriously look at doing an electrical fan upgrade and you'll never run into this again.

· Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
2,208 Posts
While sitting in a drivethru my serpentine belt came off the pulleys somehow and I completely lost power steering and alternator I'm guessing. Anyway I tried removing the fan but it just won't budge. I'm using the correct tool and am aware it's reverse threaded as I have removed it once before years ago. While trying to get it off I managed to crack the water pump pulley where it's going to crumble with any more pressure. I tried then to remove the hex screws but 2 of them are stripped, I'm thinking from the previous owner. I got a replacement metal pulley for whenever I can get the fan off. I am not sure where to go from here, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try this method from YouTube.

· /// Limitless
2002 330Ci
3,875 Posts
It is not clutch fan vs e-fan issue, but install the fan nut issue. I only need to strike on the 32mm wrench with another wrench and the nut will turn, as I didn't tighten the nut tight.
Did you not read what was above what you quoted? Crap man, pull the whole quote if your going to take issue with it. I explained how a LOT of mechanics tackle "the fan nut issue".

The point in what you saw fit to quote was that once you remove the fan nut, if you replace it with an electrical fan you'll never run into this problem, again!

· Premium Member
11,935 Posts
Did you not read what was above what you quoted? Crap man, pull the whole quote if your going to take issue with it. I explained how a LOT of mechanics tackle "the fan nut issue".
Take it easy man.
I don’t have issues with the idea of using air chisel as the last resort; I have issue with the idea of replacing the clutch fan with efan, for no good reason.

The first part of your post is unrelated to the last part, so why do I need to quote it?

· OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
26,360 Posts
I'd seriously look at doing an electrical fan upgrade and you'll never run into this again.
not really an “upgrade” in many peoples eyes. including the engineers at BMW.
also don’t see this as relevant for a fix later on. the clutch nut is not really an issue if installed correctly. install it correctly (and most often even incorrectly) and it’s never an issue.

as for the air chisel, I’d be wary of this procedure damaging the water pump bearings/seal.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts