E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests the question is: can you use the rear seat belts or rather the rear seatbelt mechanisms, with the belt itself for the front and replace the rear ones with the front ones?...

I ask only because the front ones don't retract anymore.
I have tried - cleaning scrubbing steaming lubricating basically everything... front ones just don't retract anymore...

whereas the rear ones perfectly retract, like it's never been used... and currently I don't carry rear passengers only the front two seats are occupied 90% of the time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Unless there is a method im unaware of to fix these buggers, (yes i have tried things from YT)

·
Registered
964 Posts
The front belts almost certainly have a pyrotechnic slack eliminator and likely also a "max pulling 'slip'" feature, so they are not likely to be compatible. The rears won't have these features.

Reactions: SA46

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks gents, i see thats impossible to use the rears, ill make a plan with these.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
5,380 Posts
I'm glad you came to your senses.
Worse yet is if they did fit/orient correctly, I would have had to try to talk you out of it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad you came to your senses.
Worse yet is if they did fit/orient correctly, I would have had to try to talk you out of it.
Sometimes i do crazy stuff, but sometimes, i do come to my senses..... Lets just say im lazy and cheap, but oneday, when work finally picks up, ill dump some cash into making my bmw feel oem brand new again... At least im not playing for any mechanic to work on the car.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Many parts on a car can be supplemented with "alternate" parts.
When it comes to safety items: Seats, seat belts, airbags etc. I never F around.

It's not, "I'll never get in an accident!" rather it's the other guy that hit you out of nowhere.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many parts on a car can be supplemented with "alternate" parts.
When it comes to safety items: Seats, seat belts, airbags etc. I never F around.

It's not, "I'll never get in an accident!" rather it's the other guy that hit you out of nowhere.
That is true, i wanted at one point, someone to help me to disable the a bags in the bmw, but i also came to my senses on that, fact of the matter is, accidents do happen, and people die.

I have had personal friends of mine die because of the impact with the airbag and I've had one of my friends fly out a car because he didn't wear a seatbelt and that saved him because the roof caved in and killed everyone else that had seat belts on.

And on the flip side i have seen people shoot thru the windshield and die on impact because they did not have a SB on...

For me its just, if its your time, its your time... But i will ware my seat belt, cause i do not have money for a fine, and i will leave my airbags as they are, because its WAYYY to much work to try and figure out how to disable em without warning lights and if a do get into a collision, i dont want my car to be found as being "safety moded" by insurance.... Not that they actually do any checks...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
When I was in college, I worked 3 nights a week driving a tow truck. I witnessed many an accident. Some i was dumbfounded to find dead people, others I was shocked when everyone was okay....
Accidents are as much luck as safety devices. Odds/factors (myriad) come into play.

When confronted with folks that won't wear seat belts I counter with this:
Princess Diana's accident; There was only one survivor in that crash, and he was in the front!
He was the only one wearing a belt.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm. So on "dying because of the airbag" and several of your friends being ejected because they were not wearing seatbelts. I'm going to make a guess that the person who was "killed by an airbag" was also not properly belted in because it seems like your social group or the area you live is anti-seatbelt. I am a former product developer with a couple major automakers and being belted, plus airbags is a super safe way to travel. The odds of being "thrown clear" saving a vehicle passenger are absymally bad. When I hear of these stories I shake my head thinking that others are reading this and thinking maybe they'll stop wearing a seatbelt, etc.

If someone unbelted hit an airbag so violently that it killed them, ask yourself how much worse their impact would have been against the hard dashboard, and windshield? If that story is absolutely true, sure the cause of death was impact with an airbag. But come on - use your head and KNOW what would have happened WITHOUT the airbag. A beheading? A passenger so torn up they were unidentifiable? So that's my comment on "airbags killing people". It's a huge disservice to say an airbag killed someone without using your head and realizing they were going to die anyhow when they hit a steel windshield pillar, or pile-drive into the dashboard.

On seatbelts, there are myriad reasons for always wearing them. Not the least of which is if you are driving performance style, you can get tossed half out of your seat and THEN lose control because the belt was not keeping you properly able to control the car. So now you and your passengers die because you were misinformed about seatbelts. Seatbelts can help you maintain control of your vehicle.

Seatbelts and airbags are designed as a system to work together and they're extremely effective. Don't just listen to me. Take a paramedic in your community to lunch and ask them. You will find that the people who pull broken and dismembered bodies onto gurneys and bag them for a living are well aware of this.

Sorry to be kind of harsh here but I cannot let a conversation implying airbags and seatbelts are a bad idea go unchallenged. It's simply untrue.

Reactions: Billy D and txl

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm. So on "dying because of the airbag" and several of your friends being ejected because they were not wearing seatbelts. I'm going to make a guess that the person who was "killed by an airbag" was also not properly belted in because it seems like your social group or the area you live is anti-seatbelt. I am a former product developer with a couple major automakers and being belted, plus airbags is a super safe way to travel. The odds of being "thrown clear" saving a vehicle passenger are absymally bad. When I hear of these stories I shake my head thinking that others are reading this and thinking maybe they'll stop wearing a seatbelt, etc.

If someone unbelted hit an airbag so violently that it killed them, ask yourself how much worse their impact would have been against the hard dashboard, and windshield? If that story is absolutely true, sure the cause of death was impact with an airbag. But come on - use your head and KNOW what would have happened WITHOUT the airbag. A beheading? A passenger so torn up they were unidentifiable? So that's my comment on "airbags killing people". It's a huge disservice to say an airbag killed someone without using your head and realizing they were going to die anyhow when they hit a steel windshield pillar, or pile-drive into the dashboard.

On seatbelts, there are myriad reasons for always wearing them. Not the least of which is if you are driving performance style, you can get tossed half out of your seat and THEN lose control because the belt was not keeping you properly able to control the car. So now you and your passengers die because you were misinformed about seatbelts. Seatbelts can help you maintain control of your vehicle.

Seatbelts and airbags are designed as a system to work together and they're extremely effective. Don't just listen to me. Take a paramedic in your community to lunch and ask them. You will find that the people who pull broken and dismembered bodies onto gurneys and bag them for a living are well aware of this.

Sorry to be kind of harsh here but I cannot let a conversation implying airbags and seatbelts are a bad idea go unchallenged. It's simply untrue.
I see your point, but never said they where a bad idea, i simply said that i have seen both sides of the spectrum... Them working and saving lives, and then not, my point of view is simply that well, i dont care about them... I simply ware mine as i said, cost of a fine is not worth it, but now i have read what you said, and i do agree, if i am to go for a spirited drive, i get tossed around, not that much cause the belt keeps me where i am.. So yes i see the use for them, but i dont really care much for them.... Here its not even a requirement for youe car to have them, (belts are a requirement if it came out of manufacture with belts) airbags are not..

But either way, im not touching those systems, except for maintenance, bags need to go for recall and seatbelts will be completely removed and ill try soaking them in something....

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

If someone unbelted hit an airbag so violently that it killed them, ask yourself how much worse their impact would have been against the hard dashboard, and windshield?

There was a tale that lived on for some time circulating around Florida about the leading cause of death of Sr. Citizens being killed in automobile accidents was the airbag. The prerequisite here was 1st. gen airbags (not smart and one speed on cars from the late 80's) with little frail older folks driving with the seat so far forward (we've all seen them) their face was practically right on the steering wheel.

The premise was a medium speed accident and when the fast single stage bag went off, it would break their neck.
Somewhat plausible, albeit I feel greatly exaggerated.

I do know personally on one guy I went to school with that was thrown clear out of a convertible MG in an accident. He survived, his friend did not. I call it the exception and/or the outlier.
His life post 2+ years in rehab and his pituitary gland working overtime and cerebral damage, made one wonder if he might have been better off the other way around....?

·
Registered
964 Posts
SA46,

Thanks for your balanced reply. Yep, they're a good idea for all types of driving but especially for performance driving. And if you've never driven hard enough you are keenly aware the seatbelt is keeping you planted, you haven't driven hard enough - heh!!! When I worked on the Corvette program, it had a feature I always thought was an excellent idea. The factory driver's seatbelt had a ratchet feature where you could manually crank the belt down tight to hold you in position. It was pretty cool.

Here in the US, seatbelts (except the driver's) have an ALR/ELR feature where you can fully extend them by hand and then when you are letting them back into the retractor you'll find they are now a ratchet. So you can kinda do the same thing by pulling it tight. It will not let you lean forward if you pull it tight.

On your seatbelt, when you have it out, check the shoulder slit the strap runs up through and turns sharply downward. It's kinda gross, but years of a human shedding skin onto the belt will often cause a gummy residue on that part. Clean it off with rubbing alchohol and try to keep that off the belt. Then you can also wax that part to reduce it's friction on retract that is driving you crazy.

Don - I had a Triumph Spitfire in high school that I restored and shoehorned a straight 6 into. My Dad was a pilot and as soon as he realized I had that need for speed he passed along a tip he and his pilot buddies with dangerous tincan convertibles all did. Keep the passenger's seatbelt attached so if you know you're "going in" you can lay down and grab the lap belt and hold on for dear life. I always did it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
And one more airbag story for fun. When I was with Lexus, we wanted to know how the newly introduced LS400s were performing in real crashes. So we put out notices nationwide to emergency workers that we'd pay a $50 bounty to be notified of crashes involving this vehicle severe enough to deploy the airbags. Then we'd immediately fly a team out for a look-see, pictures, etc. One of the first 5 or so was a lady driver who apparently put her makeup on with a trowel. The crash engineer got such a laugh out of the airbag that he carefully cut it out and FedEx'd it to our offices. You could literally see every detail of her face down to the eyelashes on the airbag. We called it the "Tammy Faye Baker" airbag and it hung in someone's office for a while. For you youngsters, Google her and you'll see why.

Another crash we looked at was a salesman who fell asleep the day after he got his LS400 with the cruise on and hit a D8 Caterpiller straight into the blade somewhere in Ohio. They got him out of the car and he promptly stated the car saved his life and ordered another one. Our front end goal was to exceed the Mercedes S Class, but we actually found their structure was too stiff for occupant safety and backed ours down a little to lower peak G's in severe crashes like this bulldozer impact which was at the edge of survivability. It really did save his life.

Mercedes' next S Class which actually hit the market right around the same time - slightly after if I recall - was an absolute structural monster. That's the one Lady Di was killed in and Mercedes demonstrated that she would have almost certainly survived if she had her seatbelt on that day. A shame, beyond words.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And one more airbag story for fun. When I was with Lexus, we wanted to know how the newly introduced LS400s were performing in real crashes. So we put out notices nationwide to emergency workers that we'd pay a $50 bounty to be notified of crashes involving this vehicle severe enough to deploy the airbags. Then we'd immediately fly a team out for a look-see, pictures, etc. One of the first 5 or so was a lady driver who apparently put her makeup on with a trowel. The crash engineer got such a laugh out of the airbag that he carefully cut it out and FedEx'd it to our offices. You could literally see every detail of her face down to the eyelashes on the airbag. We called it the "Tammy Faye Baker" airbag and it hung in someone's office for a while. For you youngsters, Google her and you'll see why.

Another crash we looked at was a salesman who fell asleep the day after he got his LS400 with the cruise on and hit a D8 Caterpiller straight into the blade somewhere in Ohio. They got him out of the car and he promptly stated the car saved his life and ordered another one. Our front end goal was to exceed the Mercedes S Class, but we actually found their structure was too stiff for occupant safety and backed ours down a little to lower peak G's in severe crashes like this bulldozer impact which was at the edge of survivability. It really did save his life.

Mercedes' next S Class which actually hit the market right around the same time - slightly after if I recall - was an absolute structural monster. That's the one Lady Di was killed in and Mercedes demonstrated that she would have almost certainly survived if she had her seatbelt on that day. A shame, beyond words.
Damn! How much experience do you have! Sounds like you had a few AWESOME jobs.. To the point of making me jealous.. (the corvette brand is like the all time favourite car of mine) we dont really have that many here in sa, and if you want an older one, you need to have a LOT of money, even if they are beat up run down and dont run/have missing parts...

Since the start of my memory as a child i have been in love with the 1969 Corvette stingray. Think i first saw it on a documentary, never looked at another car the same way.
New lately fallen for favourite: Corvette C7 ZR1

And i was never aware that lady D never had her belt on, i guess i never even looked into that... A sad story indeed...

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

We had something similar. IIRC the first BMW to have bags was the luxury version of the E23 7 series; the L7.
BMW wanted a phone call so they could send out a "field engineer" to photograph and examine each airbag deployment.

I remember the first one I saw; Came in to open up the service department and there was a light accident L7 parked out front. Big old white airbag deployed with a gigantic red lipstick mark, just about dead center....LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts