BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to the dealer and they said you cant plug this tire ? mich pro pilot sports , 255/35zr 18's
is this true ?

i bought the tire already i just wanted to know if i could plug it and keep the tire
thanks
mike

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
The dealer is just covering his ass. Any tire can be plugged as long as the puncture is not in a sideall or near the shoulder. In general, tire manufacturers say that a plugged tire is no longer speed rated so you have to modify your driving accordingly.

Find a good local tire place to do the work. If they say the tire should not be plugged, then buy a new tire.

Ed

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,607 Posts
forget the dealer, goto American Tires. they plug them for free. Just make sure its not near the sidewalls.

·
Registered
312 Posts
teamdfl

sure the dealer is covering his ass as you put it. Most people that drive BMW's are agressive drivers and plugs are not safe when you drive at higher speeds thats why they patch them from the inside.Most of the local gas stations plug your tire right on the car if its not in the side wall so they don't have to balance the tire and they can get you on your way.Even some of the tire shops do that but good ones won't
vern

·
Registered
928 Posts
DO NOT just plug a tire.. the only acceptable method of repairing a speed rated tire is by patching it (plugging not a bad idea in addition).

Bear in mind doing so to an UHP tire voids the speed rating and mfrs. warranty on the tire as well.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
12,960 Posts
yes you can

but get a new one when you can .keep the plug one as a spare.
way to go.
bobm3 ;) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts