E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
has 1 FLY Ci
1,849 Posts
if you pour a bucket of water on top of the filter while the car is on.

The main reason why hydrolocking occurs is that the air filter for the intake maybe too close to the pavement, and during heavy rains/floods, it can suck up water from the ground.

As long as your hood is closed, you should be alright.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ci FLY said:
if you pour a bucket of water on top of the filter while the car is on.

The main reason why hydrolocking occurs is that the air filter for the intake maybe too close to the pavement, and during heavy rains/floods, it can suck up water from the ground.

As long as your hood is closed, you should be alright.
During the crazy rains we had in socal, on the freeway while trying to enter, i got soaked by other cars. I'm sure everyone knows that feeling, it feels like someone just dumped 10 gallons of water on your car. I'm wondering if the Gruppem might hydrolock in those situations.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
No it wouldn't. Unless you submerge your car up to the level where the Gruppe M sits it won't happen. If you did submerge your car that deep then a) you're a moron and b) it would have killed the stock airbox just the same. Hope that helps

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeferno said:
No it wouldn't. Unless you submerge your car up to the level where the Gruppe M sits it won't happen. If you did submerge your car that deep then a) you're a moron and b) it would have killed the stock airbox just the same. Hope that helps

·
Yes...I do think I hate you
1,539 Posts
I would think the spray from cars and the way that the intake faces would allow more water in.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Hydrolock occurs when an intake is submerged and there is no air present, thus causing it to suck water up the pipe. They've done many tests in which they submerge the filter 3/4 of the way with water but it still doesn't suck water up because the air is still present.

Second, water on your hood does not get in your engine compartment, there are channels on the sides of the hood where the water drains.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I actually think that the stock airbox has a better chance of hydrolocking than the gruppe M since the front air inlet goes directly towards the stock filter wheras the gruppe M is protected by the carbon fiber shield.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts