BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so anyone know a price? or would it be better to go and buy with a manual?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Amir did it....check the posts....not cheap but worth every penny....i thought i saw something missing from your car wes....oh yeah, its the third pedal...lol...Matt

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt

I am coming to kick your ass tomorrow.... by the way are you working tomorrow? I might have something you would like, hehehe... let me know so I can put it in the car...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yes it is possible. If you want to do a tranny swap I would recommend getting something that wasn't available when you bought your car. e.g. wait for the 6-speed manual or even 6-speed SMG. I would feel so stupid to spend a few grands to swap in something that I could have gotten in the first place AND saved a thousand dollars on the car's purchase price.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
I'd say that it's time to buy a new car, frankly. Trade the 328 for a 325. They're about equally fast, anyhow.

The amount of money you'd spend on the swap (4-5K minimum, I believe), nto to mention the decreased future resale of the car is thoroughly discouraging.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
what Nick325xiT 5spd said :thumbup:

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
i would spend the cash on a 2001 330i used, that way any mods you have can be transferred to new ride, and u will have stick, and plenty more power to kick around

just my $.02

-brendan

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
simsima325 said:
i would spend the cash on a 2001 330i used, that way any mods you have can be transferred to new ride, and u will have stick, and plenty more power to kick around

just my $.02

-brendan
I would NEVER buy a 2001 BMW if I had to do it all over again. A pretty substantial portion of the fun of driving a BMW is having great steering feedback and roadfeel. Pre or post retrofit, as well as the xi models, the 2001 model year has PISS POOR steering.

·
'a certain moderator'
38,139 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

I would NEVER buy a 2001 BMW if I had to do it all over again. A pretty substantial portion of the fun of driving a BMW is having great steering feedback and roadfeel. Pre or post retrofit, as well as the xi models, the 2001 model year has PISS POOR steering.
not all production months were affected by this "piss poor steering" in 2001, and even if you happened to get one of these, a retrofit is available.

my car came with this "piss poor steering" and i havent felt the urge to get the retrofit.

-brendan

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i got the retrofit for my 01 330ci when i had it.....i just pissed and moaned to bmw na and they had my dealer do the swap for free

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
Even the retrofit isn't that great. :p
And it was May or June production when they intro'd the compact steering rack. A bit hard to find one, I suspect.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Jspeed said:

BTW I was talking about the SMG for the 330 which had only been available in Europe -- formerly SSG.
it is not "formerly" SSG. SSG is the name the BMW UK marketing department gave to SMG so as to not devaule the SMG/M3 . Also they are from differant manufacturs. Hope that helps :confused:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
maisenhe said:
it is not "formerly" SSG. SSG is the name the BMW UK marketing department gave to SMG so as to not devaule the SMG/M3 . Also they are from differant manufacturs. Hope that helps :confused:
No I wasn't confused. I know exactly what the deal is. SMG2 w/ Drivelogic came out for the M3 first, then SSG became available for the rest of the E46s. SSG was an "add-on solution" to the existing 5-speed manual gearbox. However they don't call it the SSG anymore, but rather Sequential Manual Gearbox, where the M3's SMG w/ Drivelogic stands for Sequential ///M Gearbox.

edit: I should rephrase my original post. The SMG for non-M 3-series is what we used to call the SSG. My original wording might have misled someone to think SSG evolved into SMG.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts