BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We seem to have 10 AA SC owners and I am very interested to hear an in-depth review. I am not dying for specs or dyno results, per se.

I'd love to hear how they are holding up as daily drivers. Do they remain practical vehicles? Are you burning clutches or flinging yourself off the road trying to merge onto the interstate?

WHAT'S IT LIKE? ...and was it worth it?

I couldn't help noticing that MarvelPhx sold his car not long after installing his ESS SC. Makes one wonder...

Anyway, let's hear it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Search on mine...I wrote up a long response and really don't want to dig it out again..It's somewhere in the ASA/ESS/AA thread from the last couple weeks :)

Thanks...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, I searched *AA*, supercharger, and NickACS. I saw some discusion, but nothing I would call a "long response".

So would you mind telling us your experience? ...or at least cue me in on some better keywords to search?

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nick's car (as well as an ESSed car and an ASAed car) were all in a feature in the new tuningwerks mag. I just got it and it is sweet. Not too in depth but still a good article.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
silver323i said:
Nick's car (as well as an ESSed car and an ASAed car) were all in a feature in the new tuningwerks mag. I just got it and it is sweet. Not too in depth but still a good article.
Yea, was kinda disappointed :sad: None of us (Chris/Dre/myself) really got much of a writeup and just a couple small pics?? :confused:

Oh well, I still appreciate the article, but was just disappointing.

Hopefully, there be a little more mention in my PBMW shoot coming out in Feb. But not sure since the writer didn't ask me too much about my s/c'er? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
noflash said:
Alright, I searched *AA*, supercharger, and NickACS. I saw some discusion, but nothing I would call a "long response".

So would you mind telling us your experience? ...or at least cue me in on some better keywords to search?

Thanks.
Try middle of the page here in this recent thread...I touch on a couple points. I tried finding my earlier thread posts about it, but couldn't find it? Hmm, wierd..

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...&perpage=20&highlight=steptronic&pagenumber=2

My experience has been great. No big problems and have enjoyed it thoroughly since I got it back in July. I've put about ~3500k miles on it. Just after installation, I drove up/down the east coast for Bimmerfest East '03 in Lime Rock, CT. Drove from Atlanta to MD to NY to CT and then all the way back. Not one problem and the s/c made for a really nice/fast drive! hehe...

Not much more to say really, I'm just enjoying it and having fun. I have a Steptronic, so I'm not putting out as much power as the manual AA/ASA cars, but it's good enough for me :) I just wanted a little more 'oomph' to go with my show car ;)

Of all the modifications I've done to the car, I'd say at this point the AA s/c'er and SSG paddle-retrofit are the best ones. Both are the best functional ones and most useful. Sure 15" Brembo's are nice, but did I really *have* to get them, heck no. That was a pure show-only mod. I definitely feel it is worth it if you want more power. If your looking to take your s/c'ed 330 and go hunt down M3's, then no, this is not a mod for that. Perhaps for some, but definitely not for me.

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NickACS said:

If there's anything else you want to know, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Nick
Thank YOU. Sounds nice. I know AA is a proven company and (no offense to other manufacturors) I'd feel better about going through them.

Here are some questions I have:

1. I take it the power is not overwhelming, that is, there is no sudden unexpected surge. Is that so?

2. How is your gas mileage?

3. Did you have AA do the install? Would you trust anyone else to do it?

4. At what RPMs would you say the additional power kicks in?

5. Do you have any long-term reliability, maintenance concerns?

I tried to limit my questions, but anything else you feel is worth sharing would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

·
Europrojektz NW
985 Posts
Hmm...I can't really tell you much about mine right now because I've only got 500 miles on it. Full article on that to come in our new EP site so just check the site for updates.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
noflash said:

1. I take it the power is not overwhelming, that is, there is no sudden unexpected surge. Is that so?

No problem...I'll give it a shot..

1: Again, can only speak for Steptronic here, but yes, there is a nice "surge" if you hit the gas! hehe... The power builds at low rpm, but I'd say around 3500rpm or so, is when the big "boost" kicks in..

2: Gas mileage is same and in some cases even better, esp long hwy driving :)

3: For Steptronic transmission reasons, I felt AA would be the only qualified installer in my area. If you check out Lewis ('E46_Angemon') he lives in Seattle and hooked up with his BMW dealer that works closely with AA. So, I'm not saying AA is the ONLY place qualified to do it, but just for ME, and where I live, they were the only ones. I've read a lot over on Bimmerforums of ppl buying the AA kits and installing it themselves or a local mechanic.

4: See #1 above..

5: None....Will not make any dramatic differences in the maintenance of the car...Pretty much for any of the big 3, AA/ASA/ESS if installed and taken care of correctly :)

Thanks....

·
Europrojektz NW
985 Posts
Correction, I live in Vancouver CANADA. Anyways, yeah my BMW dealer specializes in these SC installs that's why AA recommended them. They've done a couple ESS cars already so I trust them with the AA kit which is essentially the same process. Plus AA includes an installation CD and everything you need to make the install pretty much fool proof.

Even with the Steptronic which many manual drivers feel sluggish has a lot of power. Its pretty much that "surge" Nick is talking about. Initial impressions of the power range, I think around 3500 rpm or so then it kicks in. Basically for city driving meaning non highway driving, there is no need to go over 3500 rpm unless you want to overtake someone at the light or something (aka race). If you want the most ideal setup, get the Dinan Tranny software + the SMG kit.

I would also recommend checking out Bimmer Forums: Forced Induction section. That is where I started learning about the SC and its workings. Its not as easy as just bolting it on and enjoying the power, there is a lot to know but the learning process but it makes you appreciate the SC evenmore.

Nick: So how much hp are you at now? Any dyno results? I still need to find a place to dyno mine.

NickACS said:

No problem...I'll give it a shot..

1: Again, can only speak for Steptronic here, but yes, there is a nice "surge" if you hit the gas! hehe... The power builds at low rpm, but I'd say around 3500rpm or so, is when the big "boost" kicks in..

2: Gas mileage is same and in some cases even better, esp long hwy driving :)

3: For Steptronic transmission reasons, I felt AA would be the only qualified installer in my area. If you check out Lewis ('E46_Angemon') he lives in Seattle and hooked up with his BMW dealer that works closely with AA. So, I'm not saying AA is the ONLY place qualified to do it, but just for ME, and where I live, they were the only ones. I've read a lot over on Bimmerforums of ppl buying the AA kits and installing it themselves or a local mechanic.

4: See #1 above..

5: None....Will not make any dramatic differences in the maintenance of the car...Pretty much for any of the big 3, AA/ASA/ESS if installed and taken care of correctly :)

Thanks....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
E46_Angemon.....

how many miles do you have on your car? im planning on buying an AA over christmas hopefully before the sale ends, but im worried about having 40,000 miles on my car. i have a 2000 323ci like you and I dont drive the car very hard, and i can vouch that the person i bought from didnt either.

thanks
-billy

·
Europrojektz NW
985 Posts
Re: E46_Angemon.....

B3AM3R said:
how many miles do you have on your car? im planning on buying an AA over christmas hopefully before the sale ends, but im worried about having 40,000 miles on my car. i have a 2000 323ci like you and I dont drive the car very hard, and i can vouch that the person i bought from didnt either.

thanks
-billy
~33,000 miles?

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
E46_Angemon said:
Correction, I live in Vancouver CANADA.

Nick: So how much hp are you at now? Any dyno results? I still need to find a place to dyno mine.
Sorry, bro, my bad! ;) I totally forgot, I knew you were in Vancouver!

The only dyno I have is the dyno sheet that AA supplied. Their's says ~308Hp, but I know it's more than that. If you read on Bimmerforums, as you mentioned, their dyno reads wayyy too low. I'm guessing more like ~315Hp at the crank is what I'm pushing.

Same here Lewis, for ANYONE here considering FI, definitely go to Bimmerforums.com, register and read the last year's worth of posts in the FI section! And I'm not even kidding :yikes: Like Lewis, I went on there for about 6 months before choosing AA. Not that their posts swayed me, but there's A LOT of worthy and knowledgeable people on that FI forum. Lots of E36 AA s/c'ed M3's on there and more E46's are popping up.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to all for the great info. I am surprised more fans are not interested in this mod -- which to me seems the ultimate one. I hope to get to it in a year or so. Hopefully it will cure my desire for a 4-door M3.

Thanks again.

·
name's PHIL
6,087 Posts
noflash said:
Thanks to all for the great info. I am surprised more fans are not interested in this mod -- which to me seems the ultimate one. I hope to get to it in a year or so. Hopefully it will cure my desire for a 4-door M3.

Thanks again.
well i'm pretty sure its at the top of all our mod lists..........but its a big hole in the wallet, and s/c'ng cars tend to scare peeps away when it comes to warranty issues..........thats why peeps spend the $$$ on other stuff, rims, body kits, ICE:D

I want one too, but even i have a fear of warranty issues........if i was filthy rich, i could care less and i'd pick one immediately

·
Registered
163 Posts
I can add my comments. Definately glad I did it!!!

I love the car even more now. I would have preferred a 330iT, but since BMW doesn't want us to have that car, S/Cing was the best alternative to adding that kind of power. It's great to hit the gas and go...go...go!!!

There were a couple of teething problems, that AA said only affected a very low range of cars, but they all seem to be fixed now.

1. Power on is very smooth, it does not just appear.

2. I haven't actually checked what i'm getting, but the MPG is worse. 15-20% would be my guess.

3. AA did the install. Part of the reason I was comfortable spending that kind of money was that I was close enough to deal with them directly. When I had a reacurring problem, they even came and got my car.

4. About 3000-3500rpm

5. I'm not really concerned. Dealer has been ok working on the car, knowing the S/C is there.

noflash said:

Thank YOU. Sounds nice. I know AA is a proven company and (no offense to other manufacturors) I'd feel better about going through them.

I tried to limit my questions, but anything else you feel is worth sharing would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts