E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain what the g-force is? i know that it measures the force pushed back on you (acceleration more or less) but whats considered good for a car? my AVIC-N1 headunit shows g-force but idk whats good... also what's side g-force?

TIA

-James

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
1g = 1 times the earth's gravity (i.e 9.8 meters per seconds squard [9.8 m/s^2] acceleration).

If you do a straightline launch, the car is accelerating forward and you body is staying in place and experience a given amount of gravitational force. That's why your back presses against the seat.

When taking a turn, that's side g-force. A certain amount of force is pushing on the car from the side (making a left turn, force pushing to the right).

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Penguin Koolaid said:
1g = 1 times the earth's gravity (i.e 9.8 meters per seconds squard [9.8 m/s^2] acceleration).

If you do a straightline launch, the car is accelerating forward and you body is staying in place and experience a given amount of gravitational force. That's why your back presses against the seat.

When taking a turn, that's side g-force. A certain amount of force is pushing on the car from the side (making a left turn, force pushing to the right).
but when making a turn to the left let's say, it pushes you to the right but isnt that a centrifugal force? I was under the impression centrifugal forces were not real (just a "feeling"). Also, would i be able to calculate a 0-60 time using g-force?

·
Chapstick!
397 Posts
jgrecbets said:
but when making a turn to the left let's say, it pushes you to the right but isnt that a centrifugal force? I was under the impression centrifugal forces were not real (just a "feeling"). Also, would i be able to calculate a 0-60 time using g-force?
Hmmmm aren't centrifigul forces real, and centripetal forces not? I think that's how it goes.

·
Banned
6,535 Posts
When someone says a car can pull .98 g's on a turn, I'm pretty sure it refers to a car going around a round track slowly increasing speed, and the point at which it breaks traction is how many g's it can pull on a turn.

·
Chapstick!
397 Posts
jgrecbets said:
i thought it was opposite
I'm pretty sure centrifugal force is real. I just asked someone else whom I'm pretty sure would know for sure, he agrees with me.
I'm too lazy to look it up on google or something :p.

·
Registered
207 Posts
quackman said:
Hmmmm aren't centrifigul forces real, and centripetal forces not? I think that's how it goes.
woohoo! i can answer this- just took physics.
ok then- "centrifugal forces" do NOT exist.
centripetal acceleration\ does. when you travel in a straight line, the car (and more importantly, your body) gathers inertia for that forward direction (i think my terminology is a bit off). when you turn, your body retains that forward inertia, which feels as though you are being pushed in an opposite direction as the turn. your body is still going in the original direction, but the car has now changed direction. this is also what causes the car to roll in a turn- its being pulled towards the direction it was traveling before it turned. of course, because the wheels are still turned, you are *always* going in a new direction while turning. you are constantly being pushed towards a different point, since a circle has an infinite amount of points along its circumference.

was that clear at all? :dunno:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts