BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before i waste a $450 investment....

as some of you know im trying to finsih my M3 mirror installation. only thing i couldnt figure out is how to screw in the bolts to the mirror, since the owm m3 mirrors have no threads. a member of DTMpower said i was suppossed to rethread the the mirrors and to be sure i screw in the bolts straigh or the mirrors wont mount right. is this what im supposed to do? i got a feeling im not gonna do this straight and ima waste $450.... damn bmw why couldnt they just thread the friggin mirrors like my stock ones???

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Self-tapping bolts have a cutting edge built into the beginning of the thread area, so they cut into the plastic and create their own threads as they go in... Heli-coils are a thread insert, usually used after you have messed up your previous threads... You drill out the old threads, and screw the heli-coil threads into the newly drilled opening... The inner threads of the heli-coil are now the new threads that you screw your bolt into... Use a tap to thread your new mirrors (assuming they are metal) and if they get messed up, let someone who has heli-coil experience (any machine shop) heli-coil them for you... Or take them to a machine shop to begin with, and let them worry about messing them up...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Be sure to get metric taps... Better yet, buy the 90 piece set (or however big it is nowadays) and you'll have SAE and metric, and you can figure out exactly what size and pitch (course, fine, etc.) the bolt that threads in is...

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bought two different self drilling screws... neither worked so ill take them back later.... maybe not...

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
the one on the left

have flat head so it would be a flush installation.

Don't know if you have room for bolt head overhang:dunno:

If it's plastic these self tapping screws should work like a breeze.

I hope u picked the right screw size (the screw tread should be less than half of the one on the material in my opinion)

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really wanna know what other ppl did? I see tons of ppl with oem m3 mirrors on there cars. I wonder if they used the bolts that held the stock mirrors on? those bolts dont look like they would hold the m3 mirrors, especially if ima have to make the thread as i screw them in.

·
Alpine White
842 Posts
I have my M3 mirrors at a shop and it's being painted right now, but after reading your thread, I decided that I'm gonna leave it up to the shop to mount the mirrors on. I wanna leave it up to more experienced people to do the work. I'm gonna remove the door panels and the old mirrors, and they're gonna mount the new mirrors. That way, I'll save some money on the installation.

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr Jekyll said:
I have my M3 mirrors at a shop and it's being painted right now, but after reading your thread, I decided that I'm gonna leave it up to the shop to mount the mirrors on. I wanna leave it up to more experienced people to do the work. I'm gonna remove the door panels and the old mirrors, and they're gonna mount the new mirrors. That way, I'll save some money on the installation.
haha. thats where im at right now... everything is off my car. i just need to install the mirrors. how much did you pay for the paint job?

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Just use the bolts that came with the mirrors or the stock bolts. The only reason that the stock mirrors have threads is because the bold cuts them as it threads in (as already stated). It isn't really that hard to do, just bolt them in more or less straight. The bold is slightly tapered in the front (as I remember) and will follow the hole on its own.

Tim

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
tim330i said:
Just use the bolts that came with the mirrors or the stock bolts. The only reason that the stock mirrors have threads is because the bold cuts them as it threads in (as already stated). It isn't really that hard to do, just bolt them in more or less straight. The bold is slightly tapered in the front (as I remember) and will follow the hole on its own.

Tim
Exactly :thumbup:

·
Alpine White
842 Posts
I'm paying $200.00 to paint my mirrors and M3 lip spoiler. I know it's expensive, but they have lifetime guarantee against chipping (except rock chips) and fading. I'm getting it done at 20 20. But hey, you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
433 Posts
yep

Exactly as Tim said. Use the OEM screws to tap the new holes. I screwed them to thread the holes while the mirror was off the car, then when I went to install it they went in much easier than trying to tap it right on the door.

Goodluck.

·
hammer talks like this
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: yep

AWay said:
Exactly as Tim said. Use the OEM screws to tap the new holes. I screwed them to thread the holes while the mirror was off the car, then when I went to install it they went in much easier than trying to tap it right on the door.

Goodluck.
curious, did you use a drill when you amde the threads while the mirrors were off the car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts