E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is at the dealers right now for some Vanos noise. They just called me today and said that they have replaced the Vanos unit, but there is still a tapping noise from the engine where the Vanos is. Then, he said he ordered a new Chain or something and he's going to have the chain guy swap it out tomorrow or whenever it comes in.

He proceeds to ask me if I have aftermarket pulleys on my car, and I say yea. The pulleys was for the power steering and water pump (i think) then he says, oh, well, it might be the pulleys causeing these problems with the Vanos.

So what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
if you are still under warranty, he is problably bullshittin g you so you pay the full amount. I could be wrong though? but I have never heard anyone have problems with pullies.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
malakia12 said:
if you are still under warranty, he is problably bullshittin g you so you pay the full amount. I could be wrong though? but I have never heard anyone have problems with pullies.
I'm pretty sure he's BSing.

When he first popped the hood, he said that my intake could be causing the noise. :shhh:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yeah next thing you know he'll be telling you, "we've found the problem! It's your aftermarket clears!"

Stealerships :thumbdwn:

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Pure bullshit. All the pulley does is slow down the rate the water and the power steering pumps operation. Thats all. It has zero connection to the vanos system/timing chain other than they both driven by the crankshaft/pulley. Pulleys simply "goes along for the ride" via the belt and CANNOT cause mechanical failure to the vanos unit.

·
Registered
494 Posts
anytime the dealer asks me if i put after market pullies in .. i just say no (even though i have) so then he cant try some BS on me .. and then i ask "o why .. does that happen to cars that have after market pullies" ... and besides .I know he hasnt even looked under the hood if he asks me .. my rogue pullies are a totally different color .... just my 2 cents

1 - 8 of 8 Posts