BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what is your experience with certified pre owned bmw?
any problems with the car after you got it?
Can you service at any bmw dealer for under warranty coverage? wat about certified warranty, can you service at any dealer?
certified extended warranty is free?
is certified really worth the extra 3 thousand (compared with local avg joe dealer bmw's)

What if you get the car at local car dealer (not bmw). Can you still service your car at any bmw dealer as long as it is covered under original warranty?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
LucentAUTO said:
Can you service at any bmw dealer for under warranty coverage? wat about certified warranty, can you service at any dealer?
is certified really worth the extra 3 thousand (compared with local avg joe dealer bmw's)

What if you get the car at local car dealer (not bmw). Can you still service your car at any bmw dealer as long as it is covered under original warranty?
I bought my E46 used at a Chevy dealership no less. I also got an all inclusive 2 year 24 month bumper to bumper warranty added at no cost (out of original factory warranty). I double checked the service and inspection work records, which was performed by a very reputable independent BMW service shop. Plus 3.9% APR for 60 months (but I paid off in 24 months).

You can take your BMW to any Bimmer dealer for original factory warranty work. I did have a slight mechanical problem with my car, and since the Chevy dealer doesn't work on Bimmers, they told me to go to Cunningham BMW who did the warranty work, which my 3rd party extended warranty paid for. Plus they had all the service, repair and recall work on record, which they told me was up to date! Looks like the previous owner took good care of her!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
LucentAUTO said:

I've had great luck with CPOed BMWs, no problems.
Yes, you can service your CPOed BMW at any dealership nationwide for warrantee related repairs or otherwise.
Actually the certification is rolled into the price of the car. So, no it's not free.
I think the CPO program is worth the extra money. An inspection I or II that'll be due sooner or later will run around $450 to $600 (depending on car) and of course there is the brakes (which are covered). Everything is covered, except for gas and tires. Definitely worth the cost.
You can get the car from anybody and so long as it has BMW warrantee, you can take it to the dealer (I think). However you can only purchase a Certified car from an authorized BMW dealer (unless your the 3rd owner and the previous owner bought the car certified then the certification carries over).

Good luck......

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Safetywork said:
I've had great luck with CPOed BMWs, no problems.
Yes, you can service your CPOed BMW at any dealership nationwide for warrantee related repairs or otherwise.
Actually the certification is rolled into the price of the car. So, no it's not free.
I think the CPO program is worth the extra money. An inspection I or II that'll be due sooner or later will run around $450 to $600 (depending on car) and of course there is the brakes (which are covered). Everything is covered, except for gas and tires. Definitely worth the cost.
You can get the car from anybody and so long as it has BMW warrantee, you can take it to the dealer (I think). However you can only purchase a Certified car from an authorized BMW dealer (unless your the 3rd owner and the previous owner bought the car certified then the certification carries over).

Good luck......

CPO doesn't cover brakes or other wear items. In fact it doesn't cover suspension parts. It most definetly does not cover Inspections. Those are only part of the service maintenance contract.

Also for CPO cars there is a $50 deductible for any repair work that is covered.

CPO also kicks in after the new car warranty expires so potentially it can add 2 years or 50K miles to the warranty.

We bought our 330i with 42K miles on it CPO last August. We've put about 33K miles on it so far and the only problem has been the sunroof shade. One or more of the clip broke and the shade does not close completely.

Most importantly, we got a sweet 2002 330i for the same price a new 2004 325i with similar options would have cost us. $33K out the door.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SD 328I said:
I bought my E46 used at a Chevy dealership no less. I also got an all inclusive 2 year 24 month bumper to bumper warranty added at no cost (out of original factory warranty). I double checked the service and inspection work records, which was performed by a very reputable independent BMW service shop. Plus 3.9% APR for 60 months (but I paid off in 24 months).

You can take your BMW to any Bimmer dealer for original factory warranty work. I did have a slight mechanical problem with my car, and since the Chevy dealer doesn't work on Bimmers, they told me to go to Cunningham BMW who did the warranty work, which my 3rd party extended warranty paid for. Plus they had all the service, repair and recall work on record, which they told me was up to date! Looks like the previous owner took good care of her!!!
You the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty is the left over original warranty?

what do you mean the 3rd party extendedwarranty paid for? Did you purchase an extended warranty at chevy dealer? IF so how can you service your car at another dealer for free?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
notE46 said:
CPO doesn't cover brakes or other wear items. In fact it doesn't cover suspension parts. It most definetly does not cover Inspections. Those are only part of the service maintenance contract.

Also for CPO cars there is a $50 deductible for any repair work that is covered.

CPO also kicks in after the new car warranty expires so potentially it can add 2 years or 50K miles to the warranty.

We bought our 330i with 42K miles on it CPO last August. We've put about 33K miles on it so far and the only problem has been the sunroof shade. One or more of the clip broke and the shade does not close completely.

Most importantly, we got a sweet 2002 330i for the same price a new 2004 325i with similar options would have cost us. $33K out the door.
If i buy a bmw at a chevy dealership, do they offer extended warranty? is that worth it?

I noticed that non certified bmw at other dealers such as chevy, benz, honda, JOE JOHNSON AUTO etc...are much cheaper than non certified bmw at bmw dealers.

For example a non certified $46000 m3 at bmw would only cost around 43000 at other dealers. IS buying a bmw at bmw dealer in this case worth it? WHy not just get it from chevy's or benz or honda..etc?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
LucentAUTO said:
You the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty is the left over original warranty?

what do you mean the 3rd party extended warranty paid for? Did you purchase an extended warranty at chevy dealer? IF so how can you service your car at another dealer for free?
The car was completely out of warranty by the time I bought it. The 2 year bumper to bumper is the extended warranty up to 100K miles. It covers pretty much everything, including lower control arms, ball joints, and bushings (likely things to wear out on E46). Plus as with most 3rd party extended warranties, you can take them to any authorized shop for repairs, including a BMW dealership like I do. To save money, I get oil changes and such at reputable independent BMW shops, and warranty work at the BMW dealership.

LucentAUTO said:
this deal is too good to pass but how could this be? IT is at a local NYC dealer
02 m3 for 38000 with 20,000miles?

can i find a bmw mechanic somewhere to go check it out with me?
It should still be under warranty. You may want to get the vin number and call a local bimmer dealer to see what services/repair/warranty work has been done on it. As for the price, my Co-worker bought a red 03’ M3 with 17,000 miles for $40,000 before taxes and fees, so it seems reasonable!

Either way, you need to spend a long time looking thru every inch of the car for any signs of bad body or paint work. Look for mis-aligned body panels, bumpers, etc. Also check CarFax history and confirm with the dealership in writing that the car was not any major accidents or extensive repair work, Lemon Law, Salvage, Etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts